Deselect Parents Option

As a Roblox developer, I find it frustrating to select lots of specific children inside of multiple parents. This is specifically a problem when using the Explorer search.
Searching for a asset in the Explorer search will likely result in a situation like this if searching for assets inside of many parents:

Untitled

If I want to select all the scripts inside of the parts without their parents and only the scripts and not any other child the part may have, I would need to click each individual script holding Ctrl C until I click on all of them. I find this incredibly frustrating and time consuming.

It would be incredibly useful if there were an option to deselect parents while selecting multiple assets. If this were added I could simply Ctrl S all the parts in the folder I want the one specific child from and deselect all the parent assets I don’t want to select.

Untitledd Untitleddd

This is pretty much only an issue when using the Explorer search, but the search is something I use almost all the time to select and find many assets. The fact I have to monotonously select all the individual children so I can edit all the duplicates of a script or other asset without selecting other potential children is incredibly frustrating. An option or key that would deselect all the parent objects in a selection would fix this.

If this issue was addressed, it would save a lot of time when selecting multiple duplicate assets.

15 Likes

You can avoid this problem via command bar/plugins, you could select a folder then run the following in the command bar:

local scripts = {}

for _,v in ipairs(game.Selection:Get()[1]:GetDescendants()) do
      if v:IsA("Script") then
          table.insert(scripts, v)
      end
end
game.Selection:Set(scripts)

If you want to select objects with a specific name or class you can just modify the if statement.

6 Likes

I never knew about that. I’ll make sure to use it in the future.
However, this is still needlessly complicated to do for something so simple.

I’m bumping this thread to say that there is still a need for this feature. I use the Explorer search frequently, so manually selecting the objects gets tedious fast. If you try to select everything, you get this awful sludge of properties to hunt through.

A toggle to disable highlighting the greyed out objects would quicken my workflow tremendously. And for any future forum searchers, this plugin will do the trick, but it is slower to use.

4 Likes