Developer Console has a memory leak

I encountered this issue months ago and tried to figure out if it was a memory leak on my end. I was surprised to find out that it was being caused by opening the developer console.
This issue is very much still present as of right now. This topic should be forwarded to the appropriate channels. I’m not sure if the issue is related to hardware specifications. I have attached a video showcasing this odd behavior below.

This is an empty baseplate without any changes. I’m scrolling rapidly in the video because I think it might be connected to the scrolling functionality in the developer console.

1 Like

Can you explain more? Everything I can see looks normal and how it’s supposed to be.

You can see a big memory increase in MB, is this normal behavior?
Edit:
Without the developer console.
With the developer console.

I’ve observed this behavior before. Likely a memory leak.

It seems like they use a ‘chunk’ system it looks like where it only renders a specific chunk of frames actually to get rid of or reduce memory leaks and your rapid scrolling is overflowing the client by this, I don’t think this is really a ‘bug’ since I could see instance.new a million parts and it’d count as a memory leak if it’s intentional then it’s not a bug.

I wanted to showcase a big increase in memory to make it apparent that something is going on. You can get a smaller steady increase in memory without scrolling at all by just monitoring a graph. I also don’t find the memory increase reasonable but I also don’t know what Roblox is doing under the hood. It is very hard to figure out if there is an actual memory leak with this behavior happening, for example, my game takes around 470MB for the main menu while in a baseplate with the developer console, we see around the same amount of MB.

I doubt this is a pointer to any ROBLOX conspiracies, after all, ROBLOX has tons of services and background operations they have to use, this is all client-sided operations and a significant amount of it is most probably for connection, controls, language, or any other possibility. Unless your game is somehow lagging as an empty baseplate then it shouldn’t be anything that bad.

Also monitoring active data environments can be very performance-impacting and that console should mostly be used for debugging purposes only.

Yeah, I agree that this could very well be the case but also this has been confirmed to be the case in the past Developer Console Causes Massive Memory Leak.