Developer products do not work via third party sales. Game is suffering

I had tested if developer products work via third party sales in studio and i noticed that it worked just fine, so i went on with adding them to the actual game, but then, once the update went live, i noticed that i was unable to buy any product from the donation menu.

So right now, because the developer products were working in a different place inside of studio, i am stuck with a broken menu inside of a game with 6000 players as of now due to developer products not working via third party sales.

Third party sales is enabled in workspace.

I had checked the devforum before aswell and saw no posts about developer products and third party sales whatsoever.

As of now, i can’t revert the update without shutting down every single server and new servers keep being added as i cant easily revert the version without everything breaking due to me not owning the game. 🔨Plane Crazy🔨 - Roblox

If you dont see the new donation button next to the gamepasses, try creating a vip server. Some servers aren’t updated yet.

10 Likes

Yes it is. I can’t soft shutdown as everyone wouldn’t have time to save their stuff.
and i do not want to disturb their peace by shutting down tons of times in a short period trying to solve these issues.
Everytime i shut down my game, i notice that the playercount drops with about 1.5k players as a result for the rest of the day.

4 Likes

I’m on the Studio team, we’re taking a look.

6 Likes

Are you taking a look at disabling it in studio or allowing it ingame?.. Just to be sure so i know if i should continue my custom system with 100+ gamepasses.

(which will probably fail and be so hard to make cause tons of lag aswell)

2 Likes

@rickje139 sorry can’t say yet but we’ll keep you posted.

6 Likes

While we investigate your issue, please take a look at this to ensure you understand recent changes that were made in July: Introducing Two Game Security Settings: Third Party Sales & Cross Game Teleports

6 Likes

Re what we might do: We don’t yet know what is fully wrong here - what if anything would be changed depends on what we can determine is specifically broken.

In general, though, the protection from 3rd party assets doesn’t extend to developer products or game passes – these are assets specific to the universe/game. If you are trying to purchase developer products or game passes with an asset id corresponding to a 3rd party universe/place, I think that’s user error, unless my understanding is wrong.

What I would recommend trying is to make sure that on the published game that you have the correct list of assets in the universe created, and make sure to use those asset ids when you edit the place you are going to publish - the assets you put in your place in Roblox Studio should match the destination game’s assets so that at publishing time they will work. One way to make this work without much grief is to produce your table of game passes / developer products in scripts that depend on the game.GameId property.

Do you see any messages in the Developer Console when play-testing on Client which might indicate an underlying reason why there is a failure here? I tried playing the published game but didn’t see your new features.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Here are some more screenshots, i have also made a seperate place so that its easier for you guys to investigate the issue and make it more clear.

Studio:

Ingame:

2 Likes

Just checked it out, I can confirm is does not work. Here is the error on mobile:

4 Likes

Like was already said by Mr_Purrsalot:

This has always been a limitation that I’ve known for as long as Developer Products have been around. You can only sell developer products part of the universe your game is running in, not from other games. I wouldn’t even consider this a bug as it’s been intended to be this way for years.

I’m curious as to why you decided to include developer products from a third-party game in your place. There shouldn’t be any reason as to why you can’t use products uploaded to your main game, especially for something with little functionality attached to it like a donation leaderboard.

And when I read “Just to be sure so i know if i should continue my custom system with 100+ gamepasses.”, “playercount drops with about 1.5k players as a result” and “a game with 6000 players” I would highly highly urge you to test these things in advance and ask for help from other developers first. These things all seem to be uncommon practice and you might be able to avoid being in situations like this by having it checked out by someone else and testing it in a developer place you upload… Simply pushing it to a 6000+ concurrent place and shutting down without testing if it works on production first is a recipe for disaster.

2 Likes

I’m curious as to why you decided to include developer products from a third-party game in your place. There shouldn’t be any reason as to why you can’t use products uploaded to your main game, especially for something with little functionality attached to it like a donation leaderboard.

The game is stuck to a profile and we cant convert it to a group game, so all of the robux either has to go to the game’s owner and get sent with a 30% cut to me or it has to be sold via third party sales with a 10% commision to the game’s owner.

If i cant sell developer products from the place which is linked to my group, i cant create a donation system and i have to make a custom method which requires over 100+ gamepasses and checking if each gamepass was bought before and continue cycling through.

And when I read “Just to be sure so i know if i should continue my custom system with 100+ gamepasses.”, “playercount drops with about 1.5k players as a result” and “a game with 6000 players” I would highly highly urge you to test these things in advance and ask for help from other developers first.

I haven’t forced this donation update yet, i had silently published the update so that i could do the final check to see if it actually worked and it did not, so i had to remove it but there were already a few new servers with the donation system inside of them.

I cant instantly shutdown my game as it is a building game, people need atleast 1 minute to save their current progress or changes so that they will not accidently lose progress or their creations because of an update.

I keep noticing that a shutdown in my game has a big impact on the playercount for the rest of the day because people can lose their progress very easily and become angry and quit playing.

This has always been a limitation that I’ve known for as long as Developer Products have been around. You can only sell developer products part of the universe your game is running in, not from other games. I wouldn’t even consider this a bug as it’s been intended to be this way for years.

The thing that made me think this was possible was that in studio, everything seemed to work just fine in a different place.

2 Likes

This is still an issue, and is causing problems with commission splits for profile games.

3 Likes

I have been having the same issue, has there been any updates?

It’s not an issue, you just can’t buy devproducts in another game than what it’s linked to.

2 Likes

Judging from the replies here, and from my own experience developing third-party assets, there is a genuine need/desire for developer products to work in experiences outside of the one they were created in. If the marketplace team could consider this it would immensely help some developers and to support legitimate third party assets.

As this is more-so a feature request than an engine bug so I’ve made a more in-depth topic for this and similar issues here.

8 Likes

Hey I know I’m replying to this in 2023 but does this still not work?

Yes, this is still an issue, and still causes problems.

1 Like