Developing a game in 1 month!

Hello! I’m @Raiinbow_Skies, and I am primarily a GFX artist! As my city recently went back into lockdown, I now have a lot more time on my hands, and have decided to make my own game!

I’m not very experienced in any development fields other than GFXs and art, so I am aiming to push myself, and try new skills!

Everyday I will post pictures of my progress here, and explain what I added to the game today! I hope this will help to keep me motivated, and I hope you will all enjoy following my progress throughout the month!

Thank you! :heartpulse:
(Day 1 + 2 coming soon!)

17 Likes

Day 1
(Yesterday)

Today I started off my game by placing down some terrain, and attempting to make an island!

Then, I began to work on my lighting! More will be revealed about my game later, but the weather on the island is very stormy, and dark. I also added some waves to the water, and used the Rain Plugin by buildthomas (Rain Module + Plugin) to help with this! I am very proud of the lighting, I have never done anything like that before!

Next I started designing and scripting the UI. This might give some hints to what the game is about! :eyes:

That’s all for day 1!
Goals for day 2:

• Start blocking out the builds
  • Tidy up the terrain, and start painting it so it isn’t just grass
  • If I have time, I’ll model some assets for the map!

Thank you for reading! :heartpulse:

7 Likes

The UI theme doesn’t really match the background

2 Likes

Once your inside the building, it will have a completely different theme/vibe to the outdoors, but thank you for the feedback! I might change the color scheme a bit!

I really like the concept of you making a game and posting your progress here everyday on the DevForum. What’s the game about?

1 Like

I love it lol your pretty good at building for being mainly a gfx artist, I’m planning to do a post like this too!

1 Like

Thank you so much! :heartpulse:
As I’m not a great scripter, I’m making a game that I would be able to script! I haven’t decided the name of the game yet, or decided many of the features yet, but it’s mainly a social/chill/rp game! There will be a baking system to use in the bakery that I’ll make. I am also going to add a lighthouse and a fishing dock! There might be some more islands/other buildings, but I’d add them if I had time! It’s not a very good explanation of it, as most of it is in my head, but I will be adding some concept art which will help explain it!

1 Like

I think you totally should, it would be really cool! If you do make one, please let me know, as I would love to see it!

Day 2

I didn’t have that much progress today, but I still managed to work on the game a bit. Here is what the map currently looks like! There is an empty space which I will be doing a poll for at the end of this message, as I really don’t know what to put there!

Here is the pier! I will model some boats to put there, and players will be able to fish there too, and I may have a diving board too! If there are other places or islands in the future, the boats here will be how they get there.

Here is the base of the cafe. It’s not looking that great at the moment, but it will eventually! I might end up resizing it, as multiple players won’t be able to fit into the kitchen if it’s too small!

I accidentally ruined the terrain, and instead of pressing the undo button, I turned the error into a nice swimming pool/cave.

I think the lighthouse looks ok, it’s not the best but it will improve with a bit more detail. If anybody has any tutorials on how to make the lighthouse lights spin, that would be really helpful! I tried using hinges, but I don’t know if it would work.

Now, time for the poll!

What building should I add to the empty space?
  • Another food related building, eg a cafe, supermarket, etc
  • A nature area, eg a garden, etc
  • A house/log cabin/lounge area
  • A store, eg fishing store, etc
  • Nothing, leave it as it is
  • Add something simple, like a chair
  • Other - Please tell me what you think!

0 voters

That’s all for day 2!
Goals for day 3:

• Begin blocking out the build that the most people vote for
  • Tidy up the terrain, and start painting it so it isn’t just grass
  • Start to model essential assets for the cooking system.

3 Likes

Looking good, will be nice to see your progress throughout the month, however the theme of the island really does not fit the theme of those buildings. Rain and the mist makes it look very dull and sad, but then you use Low Poly which has the opposite effect.

1 Like

Day 3
I didn’t accomplish any of the goals I set out to achieve yesterday, but I instead made some really cool new changes! To make this post more tidy, I have put some of the photos in here, as otherwise there would be way too many!

I watched a few YouTube tutorials on how to make a depth of field effect. I was a bit dumb and thought it wasn’t working, but then I realised my graphics were just at a very low setting… when I turned it up it looked great! I am genuinely so proud of this, it looks quite cool in my opinion!

Depth of Field Photos

I also began to turn the dock from low poly, into more detailed, the old version was so I could get to know the basic proportions. It’s not bad, but it’s not that great. The weird broken looking plank is meant to be like that, I’m trying to add some variation into the planks, as it looks a bit boring.

I also made a candle, but I can’t make it smaller, so I guess it is what it is. The inside is looking very weird, but I’ll get around to making it look better later!

I don’t have footage of this, but I followed a YT tutorial to help me make a script that makes the player’s head turn to the camera direction!

That’s all for Day 3!
Goals for Day 4

• Add some more details to the dock, like broken wood, props, barriers to stop people falling off, etc.
  • Make a base for the new building! Before I add more details, I’ll wait for a few more votes to come in, just in case!
  • Fix the terrain

1 Like

I made the buildings low poly at the beginning so I could get a feel for the proportions/size of them, but I am going to work towards making them more realistic!

The cafe is intended to contrast with the island, and once I find out how to script it, it will all make a lot more sense! :smiley:

Day 4

Today’s post will be a rather short one, as I didn’t really accomplish anything! I have decided to start setting goals for every 10 days instead of every day, otherwise it gets a bit impossible to do everything I wanted within a day!

However, the dock is almost done! I’ve added rails/barriers to stop the players falling off almost everywhere, and have changed some of the planks to make the dock have more variation! I’m not sure how it looks, what do you think? I’d appreciate some feedback on it if you want!

That’s all for Day 4!
By Day 10, I want to have:

• Finished the dock completely, this involves: Adding some props, finishing the barriers, adding some ladders, adding an NPC, and fixing up the pillars under the dock!
  • Fixed the glitchy terrain+water, and make the terrain more smooth.
  • Started the lighting scripts.
  • Made a little hut next to the dock, with fishing equipment (another idea I had)
  • Made a base for the new building, I have decided to make it a log cabin, with some couches and stuff like that!
  • Found a way to make the lighthouse lights spin.
  • Finished/nearly finished the outside of the bakery.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see more of the game!

1 Like

Nice build! In terms of the candle, you could probably make it smaller by using DaMrNelson’s old model resize plugin, since it automatically takes a model and turns the parts inside of it into MeshParts for resizing.

2 Likes

Hey! I’m late to the party, but I see that you haven’t made an update in 18 days. I’m really interested in seeing what you’ve created. I love seeing people go out of their comfort zone and see them flourish, and potentially become even better at the new craft (like scripting or building) compared to their old (in your case, GFX). I absolutely LOVE your passion and drive. That is what I love seeing in any beginner developers, because people with the passion you have in development, are the ones that create the most innovative and unique experiences. If you are ever interested in improving your skills in all different types of development, send me a DM, I’d love to potentially work with you and your passion.

1 Like