Devforums opening to the public

Honestly, this seems like a bad idea. The old process for becoming a Member from a New Member was done by applications. Of course this required the Dev Rel people to spend time reviewing both Forum Applicant and Full-Membership Applications. While the former is gone. It’ll lead some New Members to believe they can file an application right away in order to become a Full Member.
If there’s a time limitation from the time you get in the forums, (Like 6 months from the old process), It did lead some new members to believe they could become Full Members right after the 6 months passed.
So, if something didn’t work in the past, don’t bring it back!

I agree not to try something that didn’t work before, but I meant a metaphorical application process. Those who prove valuable to the community will be recognized, will those who don’t will not be promoted.

As a new member myself, I want to throw in my 2 cents.

Over my entire time on the roblox platform as a developer and not a gamer, the devforum felt very elitist. I dont know what it was about it, the application process that took forever to go through, how i couldn’t post or even react openly, the people who got invited in, or just the atmosphere. But I really didn’t enjoy reading any post because of the elitist nature.

I recently (past year or 2) had been wanting to get onto the devforum so I could get out of the amateur side, which was interesting but full of unknowledgable people. (Though I met a great friend and mentor of mine who taught me much of what I know now on the roblox api through the normal roblox forums.) However I always kept my distance because of the backed up application system that seemed that you needed insanely good games and front page games as well to get in. This new changed actually motivated me to read and discover what devforum actually is (however cheesy that sounds).

Now trollers and scammers will always find a way to get past the automatic system (to be perfectly honest I was completely surprised by how little it took me to read to get on here, maybe 2+ weeks of just checking in) but the Lead Contibutors Group seem to be doing a great job at keeping them at bay, and the process will surely be refined to avoid bots who just open a page and wait infinitely.

And sure low quality posts are annoying, but expressing that feeling is kind of elitist of the old ways because you aren’t helping the OP improve in any way other than saying, “Ah. He is just a new member and I know better because I am a full member.” I’m pretty sure I made a couple low quality posts in my first day (which is actually today) of being of accepted. Our goal is to improve and expand the devforum to include all developers big and small on the simple goal of developing games and being a civil community.

But I digress, and I’m not even sure i made sense. But I certainly wanted to tell you guys my own opinion. Make of it what you will. I hope I wasnt condescending though, please tell me if I was.

2 Likes

I got in through the new system

I applied almost half a year ago, and never got a response.
It took four or five months for my first application to be read. (only read after my friend mentioned it to Night) My first application got denied because my game broke (I didn’t expect to wait over 4 months) and my second application never got read after 5 months. It was slightly after 5 months I think that the new system started, though not 100% sure.

I don’t think allowing anybody in was the best idea, however applications simply did not work.
The LTCs definitely are doing a good job, if I do see any posts that are blatantly against the guidelines, they normally dissapear quite quickly.

I must agree to most things said in this thread, the Devforum should not become “The Forum” v2. Then we’re just back to where we started. An obvious issue is that reading development related posts and threads doesn’t guarantee that you are a developer nor can behave on the forums. I understand the reason for this change, you shouldn’t have to wait a half year for a notice saying you are the next up for acceptance. And you shouldn’t have to remind them about your application. And yes, this happened to me. I had to remind them it three times in order to actually get accepted. Another issue is the 13+ rule, there’s no guarantee with the new process. While I disagree to the all “New Members” are bad rumors I don’t like the new process.

Any post at all, or just a select few topics? I have a hard time believing developer A showing off his creation or developer B looking for artists comes off elitist unless you’re already got that mindset locked down, in which case that’s not really on the forum.

1 Like

Well i never looked at anything more than announcements or updates. Its mostly the atmosphere that pushed me away. Im sure that if i couldve seen interesting creations and more i wouldve been motivated to try to get in. I never wanted to rrad anything because i couldnt speak and it took forever to become a new member.