Did image sizing change?

I’ve noticed my images are now posted at full size, and consequently being clipped on the right side. I really don’t like this new behaviour since it’s now much harder to scale images properly, without them being clipped or off centre.

If this was a recent change, could this be reverted?

• I prefer the new image behaviour
  • I prefer the old image behaviour
  • I didn’t notice a difference

0 voters

No one on Meta has said anything about this issue, so my guess is this is only happening to our forum. Another thing that I’ve noticed is that the clipping does not happen on all devices, my phone that has the Discourse Hub app is not experiencing the same issue, as well as my desktop.

1 Like

That’s odd.

(also, I’ll add that images I uploaded a while ago aren’t affected by this issue, for example:

but newer ones are:

In fact, it might even be happening to the above images, we’ll see when I post this reply)

edit: yup it is, it clipped my annotation on the second image.

On my phone:

On my laptop it’s clipped :confused:

1 Like

Maybe they changed the max image size / file size on the forum that is causing this (cc @InceptionTime?)

3 Likes

Sounds plausible. Maybe a solution would be to set a max width on the images of 100% of their parent container. I don’t know anything about how Discourse works, but if you have access to any CSS or anything, it would probably look like:

.some .path .to img {
    max-width: 100%;
}

What you can do temporarily is add a percentage at the end of your link to downsize it temporarily. Opening it in a new tab or clicking view on the image will restore the size appropriately (or at least, that is such for my case).

![image|sizeXsixeY,scale%]

2 Likes

This is kind of annoying, but thankfully you can just use the size changing features to fix it. And if 50% is too big, you can still edit the percentage in the image link to make it even more precise.

Apparently you can even make it bigger than 100%, never knew that. The last image is 175% size.

Overall, it takes more work, but the increased level of control is worth it IMO.

I agree it’s nice to have control, but it would be nice if it didn’t end up going off the page when it’s too large. Some form of scaling down when the image is too large, instead of clipping, is what I’m really looking for here, and that used to be the default behaviour. For some reason it doesn’t do it now :confused:

2 Likes

Update on this, it might have broken GIFs as well.

Here’s a post with a GIF in it which I uploaded a couple minutes ago.

Not only can you see the clipping issue again, but the GIF doesn’t animate, nor is it clickable. Right clicking to open in a new tab returns a static image. I know it takes a few moments to register sometimes but I’ve already waited over five minutes. It’s almost certainly broken.

Pls fix.

Oops this was my fault!

This should be fixed now

3 Likes

Image sizing definitely seems to have been fixed, thanks :smile:
Unfortunately, after attempting to reupload the gif, it’s still not animating. Any ideas?

GIF Test

giphy

@Elttob, it’s working for me. Can you upload the GIF to imgur, then send the link to me in DMs?

1 Like