Disabling the Reset Character button

Hi fellow developers! Sorry if the creation of this topic is not necessary but I’ve been trying to figure this out for awhile now - but to no avail. I stumbled upon this code a few times in the DevForum (sorry if not credited I am not sure who wrote the original code and I do not want to credit the wrong person):

local coreCall do
	local MAX_RETRIES = 8

local StarterGui = game:GetService('StarterGui')
	local RunService = game:GetService('RunService')

function coreCall(method, ...)
		local result = {}
		for retries = 1, MAX_RETRIES do
			result = {pcall(StarterGui[method], StarterGui, ...)}
			if result[1] then
				break
			end
			RunService.Stepped:Wait()
		end
		return unpack(result)
	end
end

It works well, and the Reset Character button is disabled. I understand how Variadic functions work and all, but I do not understand the rest of the code. If anybody could kindly explain the reasoning behind this I would greatly appreciate it. I do not understand why it is looped exactly 8 times and why the loop should be broken if ‘result’ with index 1 is true. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ll try my best to explain.

After researching, I found out about it in this post:

If you’ve used SetCore before you may have seen the ‘ has not been registed by the CoreScripts’, this is because the SetCores take time to be initialized therefore you’ll need to pcall it and keep trying.

Here’s a small example:

local success
while not success do
   success = pcall(sg.SetCore, sg, "TopbarEnabled", false)
   wait(1) --add a wait to ensure no Game script timeouts :P
end

As for the function, this is because pcall returns two values: the first one is a bool, whether the function was a success or not. The second is the response: if the first value was a success and you did return in pcall, the response will be the returned value. If it errors, aka success is false, it returns the error message.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! Does that mean that I could loop it possibly less or more than 8 times, and 8 is just a safe number to use?

1 Like

I believe 8 is enough, but you can increase. I am not sure what the limit to it though.

2 Likes