Discord-To-Roblox Ban bot

What’s wrong with it? It seems to be working just fine for developers right now, and due to Google’s easily manipulable interface, you can edit and view data on mobile too. It’s very well rounded and much easier to perform save framework changes than even the integrated roblox datastore. I use the datastore for storing people’s data, but sometimes I’m tempted to use Spreadsheets considering how easily I could view & manipulate data in it. Not to mention, the discord bot could access that data and provide cool things like interactive gameplay elements within the discord server, or an external app could access it to let you edit your cars (for example) on mobile and view them in the game when you get back to PC.

3 Likes

I appreciate it lots, thank you so much :^)

2 Likes

Google Spreadsheets, while still being a free service, is definitely not meant to be used as a database, and should never be interpreted as a database. Sure, if you only have a couple thousand people’s worth of data, it could be easy to use and manipulate very easily. However, once you start reaching the high thousands, even hundred thousands, you simply cannot persist on using Google Spreadsheets as a database.

There are so many more free (extra emphasis on free) databases out there. Take any number of services, such as AWS, even setting up your own SQL database on a Glitch website (although I don’t recommend that), can work much more efficiently than a Google Spreadsheet. Google made spreadsheets for the ease of data interpretation and managing analysis of data, not for a spreadsheet of data.

This argument falls in line with why Trello should not be used as a database, even though more developers are attracted to using that.

Simply put, there are services, another emphasis on free, that are dedicated solely for database usage as compared to analysis and management.

3 Likes

@JohnnyMorganz There is a way to make it private you know?

1 Like

I’ll be fully honest, I don’t understand why everyone on this thread is so against Google Spreadsheets. Here are the pros to using this in a ban system;

1. You wont exceed the request limit , its not going to be super constant.
  2. It is a ban system, you only use it when you want to ban someone from your game.
  3. Google Spreadsheets is free, and simple to use.
  4. The service hasn’t went offline in a LONG time.

Those are advantages, now I do understand that there are so many other sources better than Google Spreadsheets, but for a ban system, and for someone who is new to LUA and storing Data offsite, then I highly recommend spread sheets. All the recent suggestions are awesome, and I am sure people with experience who want to use this system will use those suggestions. @TheMaddestRedux also did a good job explaining that this system wasn’t created for the most efficient methods.

Thanks for all the recent replies, and I hope you guys continue to suggest and help others. :smiley:
Me and Stratiz will be editing the post soon to teach users how to make this work with a specific role only, and some more efficiency areas.

7 Likes

Spreadsheets is by design not a database nor meant to be used by one. It’s bad practice to support to use it in the first place.

1 Like

Hey, I followed what you said, and the only part Im getting confused on is the part where we do the stuff on glitch, what do I do with it after I done the stuff in server.js?

1 Like

I recommend you check the following;

1. Make sure the token is there

2. Make sure the ScriptID is there

3. Copy the ClientID of the bot and paste it in the ID section, where it’s put as 1

4. Go to the bot page, and go to Oath2

5. In Oath2 , make sure you toggle bot.

6. A link should’ve generated, copy it and paste it into your browser

7. Invite the bot to your server
    if the bot is online then you did everything right, and it should work, another issue I helped tons with is the script area. You MUST run the script, as shown in some of the steps. You need to Run>setup. Once that is done and you publish the script and you got the ScriptID and everything is working, the bot and sheet are communicating now. Make sure your game is communicating with the sheet also, and paste the ScriptID in the module.

If you have any more questions, let me know! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot :smiley:, The bot is working for me but just wondering do I need to have the glitch page open for it to work?

Edit: the bot responds but google sheets does not change…

1 Like

You do not, just if you are turning your PC off the bot will most likely go offline. So when you restart your PC make sure to re-open the glitch bot.

Add me on Discord, Kensizo#0001 . Your issue is common, and most likely is you not doing the script steps properly.

3 Likes

Added you on discord

2 Likes

So, does this bot ban Discord accounts from the server?

1 Like

This bot bans people from your Roblox game. You do the command, and the Roblox user gets instant banned. Permanent banned, unless you unban.

3 Likes

So, you have to script the bot so it links to your game?

1 Like

No, You use the script in the
https://devforum.roblox.com/uploads/short-url/wlCA5qelYMw8dumMr98WKGJCDoP.rbxm

And what does the script do?

Is there a step-by-step method to make it work?

1 Like

I havnt Opened the file, But im sure it is simple, (I am currently busy to check how it works, But Im sure its simple as replace the domain to check).

1 Like

You just replace the scriptID in the module, should be shown in the steps. The discord bot is communicating with the script ( google sheet ) , and the script in-game is communicating with the script ( google sheet )

2 Likes

This program is sick. I love how it goes to a spreadsheet instead of a SQL database or something alike. I’ll definitely be giving this a try.

2 Likes

This is a good time to hope one day Roblox will have API keys to edit DataStores off-site so we don’t need external database options and could directly edit DataStores via http requests from other applications like a Discord bot.

5 Likes