Docking Updates [Full Release]

can we have an actual decent MDI feature for Roblox Studio for once ? Is Windows MDI feature too limited for Studio or ?
The current implementation is extremely glitchy and it badly supports multi monitors on Windows.

We are working on the foundations needed to do this. But thereā€™s lots of legacy and considerations to navigate to get there.

Iā€™m not sure if this is the right placeā€¦ but itā€™s regarding Studio Layoutā€¦ before entering a project.

Is it possible to have a PINNED Option ā€¦ or even better ā€¦ FOLDERS ?
Studio stored files can really get messyā€¦ if you have many filesā€¦ some testing etc.
Sometimes you have so many filesā€¦ they ā€œfall offā€ā€¦ and we have to go look for them on the PC.

Just a thoughtā€¦ and would make life so much more controllable.
Thanks.

3 Likes

We call this entire window ā€œthe Start Pageā€ and Iā€™m excited to say itā€™s getting a major makeover this year. One of our priorities is making it more efficient to use for power users like yā€™all so the feedback is helpful!

3 Likes

This sounds interesting. I hope the term for creations is more consistent in the redesign. At the moment, Studio is still calling experiences ā€œgamesā€.

1 Like

Creations and Experiences from here on out!

3 Likes

am i crazy or does this not respect the min size

i have a plugin window i use to keep my window sizes the same no matter what and it doesnā€™t actually respect it at all

You are not crazy. The new system is currently ignoring minimum size requests from plugins for a couple of reasons.

For one, this gets really tricky when multiple plugins are sharing the same frame and docked. There is a high chance for scrollbars within scrollbars. For another, we found many plugins were abusing the minimum size because they didnā€™t want to make the UI flexible to other orientations/dimensions.

All that said, we are contemplating what we can do with using recommended size. I need to double check but I believe FloatingXSize and FloatingYSize are respected for any panels that are undocked (and not sharing space with any other panel)

1 Like

I like this approach. It should be on plugin maintainers to account for the layout of the user; itā€™s super annoying to have very limited screen space when a plugin has a large minimum size for seemingly no reason.

Is this deprecation reflected in the documentation anywhere?

1 Like

ah, itā€™s whatever, i can live without it

thanks though!

Itā€™s not documented yet as weā€™re still in Beta and things are still being worked on. We should have a V2 update of the docking beta out in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

Can you collapse docked ui like the old behavior? If not is it planned to be a feature again? Because I like the behavior but I donā€™t want a cluttered studio.

1 Like

Getting a lot of random panels opening (Terrain Editor, Plugins), closing (Plugins), repositioning (Toolbox, Asset Manager), and reordering (Asset Manager, Toolbox, Team Create, Plugins) with this beta. Huge downgrade in stability. Hopefully the V2 update fixes these issues.

3 Likes

Yes we are working on bringing that back. Itā€™s looking like we will be able to.

@MeshOfPaul Are you folks aware that widget reset issues are still happening? I went to open studio just now and my layout got completely nuked, and Iā€™m unable to get the layout I had back (certain empty panels seem to be missing).
It happened with the latest studio update that just shipped today.

2 Likes

My whole layout also got reset with the latest update, could be necessary for any docking updates but idk still very annoying.

@Noble_Draconian yeah sorry about that ā€” this was due to some fixes/improvements to the Docking Beta. We are trying to minimize resets as much as possible but itā€™s tricky with saved data. Iā€™m going to post an update to this main post once I get confirmation on what all went live today.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve made great progress on getting autohide/collapsing panels working in this new system. It should be back next week!

1 Like

This will return next week! Probably! :sweat_smile:

Full width South is now available in this weekā€™s update. I hope it works well for you!