Does anybody have any idea what API endpoints roblox's status page is hooked up to?

So it may sound strange; but let me explain before calling my crazy.

Explanation of what I need this for.

Recently, I saw a thread in #development-discussion that wanted a “downtime service”. There were many issues however, as people said, “well if roblox is down then the service is down too”. This topic intrigued me, as this service could have some uses, but the flaws overtook it.

I recently learned how to make my own status page using Upptime, and I found you can send GET requests to your personal status page and get a response. You can make your own status page by simply putting in any endpoints you want to check every 5 minutes.

Anyway, I would be using HTTPService to send GET requests to my personal status page for any important API endpoints that roblox uses.

TL;DR: I’m making a module for finding out when endpoints are starting to get slow/go down.

Back to the question:

Is there an API endpoint, specifically a GET, that roblox uses to check if it’s critical services are up?

I would assume this is how the status page works. I’ve done some digging but really didn’t find anything.

Here are the most important ones I’m looking for:

1. DataStores (obviously!)

2. Website (not really that important, I can also just check if the website responds slowly)

3. Studio (I think there might be an endpoint for this?)

If there’s a list of them, or you know which might work, let me know! I’m looking for many others, but those are currently the most important. It’d also be interesting to hear from any staff who might be able to let me know how the status page works.

Thanks! :grin:

1 Like

Did some more digging, I was thinking it might be possible to just have the bot check the main site, however I can’t find an API endpoint for datastores. (It’s probably in plain sight and I don’t see it).

StatusPage.io most typically is just configured so that site administrators can create downtime incidents, I don’t believe Roblox automates this – mainly due to their incident messages.

But, to answer your question… your best bet is just to query your on API to check the status of Roblox’s APIs, and average response time.

1 Like

That’s true. I still want to believe that there is some kind of API endpoint that I could use, just not sure which specifically would work well.

However, Upptime, a different system, has custom incident messages but automates the status. That’s a possibility as well.

I wouldn’t rely on it, like I said your best bet is to ping Roblox servers from your own server/proxy [to bypass rate limits] and calculate lets say qtrly averages. This would allow you to catch stuff like this much quicker.

When Roblox went down the other day, it took a while for a downtime message to go up on the status page [after a Roblox staff member officially responded on the DevForum] This is why I believe it isn’t automated.

1 Like

That’s my plan, however I don’t believe I could do this with DataStores and other API’s. I’m going to have to send a GET to some sort of endpoint. This is easily possible with Upptime.

If you’re making a module for this, why not just ping the datastore Roblox APIs native to the game?

2 reasons:

1. If Roblox was having a serious outage, that might not work.
  2. I’m using Upptime as an external database, so I can also offer discord integration. Along with that, using Upptime, I can detect if services are starting to act slow. (This is the reason behind the module, if datastore response time spikes up, a user of the system could then save data then in case a outage occurs based off the data given.)

I’m pretty sure datastore doesn’t have any public web APIs and according to a diagram posted on the Roblox tech blog, I don’t believe its publicly accessible. The only accurate way to do this, like I said is to write your own Roblox code for datastore, and check the other APIs on your own server/proxy. For Datastore, you can ping the server and say hey Datastore is starting to act weird, you can measure the scale of this depending on the number of servers that ping back saying something is wrong. Which you can also use this to send notifications to Discord.

1 Like

Gotcha. Is this also the case for most systems on roblox? I’ve seen API endpoints like this before, at least maybe. (I could be wrong.)

I’d recommend checking this GitHub out for Roblox APIs… for ease of access :smiley:

Unfortnently, Roblox removed the endpoint that allowed you to view all API endpoints.

Wait… no it’s back!
https://api.roblox.com/docs?useConsolidatedPage=true

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, your a life saver! Thanks! (Time to go get some caffeine and do some reading! :sunglasses:)

1 Like

For an updated repository of endpoints, use mine.
What you’re specifically looking for though is: https://4277980205320394.hostedstatus.com/1.0/status/59db90dbcdeb2f04dadcf16d

GamePersistence (datastore) endpoints obviously aren’t publicly documented (there’s some community documentation for the web APIs), that doesn’t really mean it shouldn’t be documented, for example: https://avatar.roblox.com/v1/emotes has NO reason to be undocumented.

1 Like

Oh my, you actually found it! Thanks!