Does CrazyMan's DataStore Editor work for DataStore2?

:thinking:

So I was just about to get @Crazyman32 's DataStore Editor but before I used 15 robux for it I just wanted to make sure it works for DataStore2. Now I’m not an expert at datastores so I don’t know all about them and how they function, so if I kinda sound not so smart asking this just know that I’m not super good at this stuff :smile: so I’m just making sure, Thanks!

4 Likes

I believe posts were made about this, but I believe not. There is no reason for it to need to work with something so specific as datastore2. Just use regular data stores.

I designed it much before DataStore2 existed, so it doesn’t have native support for DataStore2. I do not know how DataStore2 works exactly, but I’m sure there’s a way to still query the data.

I will be remaking the whole DataStore Editor plugin later this year and will probably try to implement support for popular DataStore modules such as DS2.

16 Likes

Okay I will test it out thank you!

Update: So the DataStore editor does in fact work for DataStore2, I really love your plugin and it is a life saver.
Thank you so much for making it and I hope to see the remastered one. :+1:

5 Likes

UPDATE Aug 19 2020:
I wrote a new guide posted as a tutorial for the latest update of the plugin. Due to aesthetic and operational changes to the plugin, this guide will be confusing to people who have the latest version. Only use this guide if you haven’t updated your DataStore Editor to the most recent versions v.3.0+
Otherwise, click on the new guide.
THIS is the updated method.

Glad to help shine some light in this. The creator of DataStore2 (@Kampfkarren) has answered this question, however it is hidden within a long chain of replies on a topic that was started 2 years ago, so I can understand the confusion in finding the answer. That reply which is how I learned the solution is linked at the end. Hopefully this will help future DataStore2 users seeking the ability to access and edit their DataStore2 data. For anyone else who comes across this question here is a (hopefully) descriptive guide on how to edit your DataStore2 data using the current build of @Crazyman32 's Data Store Editor plugin.

1. Make sure your Place ID is in the PlaceID box at the top.
  2. When you use DataStore2 as is recommended by the creator @Kampfkarren, you should have combined Data Store keys under one main key. However this is not required. If you DO use DataStore2.Combine(“TheMainKey”, “Items”, “Stats”,“ETC”), then you need to take note of your combined key name. In this example the name of the main key for my DataStore2 is “TheMainKey”. If you DON’T use DataStore.Combine() and just have multiple keys and separate stores for different things (not recommended) , then you just use those Keys (e.g. “Items” or “Stats”) Once you have taken note of the Main Key, OR whichever key you use for the datastore you want to edit, you need to type the key into the box that says Data Store Name. In my example “TheMainKey”. This should be followed immediately (no spaces) by a forward slash (/) and then the UserId of the player you want to search/edit the data of.
    For example, if I am searching the Data of Joe Everyman who has the userID of 12345678 (which can be found by looking up that user on Roblox, and then in the address bar of their profile page is their UserID) I want to type this into the box that says Data Store Name TheMainKey/12345678
  3. Check the square box right above Connect that says Use OrderedDataStore and make sure it is selected (it will have a checkmark if it is selected)
    To review you should currently have your PlaceID in the Place ID box,
    In the Data Store Name box, you should have DataStoreKey / UserID-of-Player-You-Want-To-Edit-Data-For,
    The box labeled Use OrderedDataStore should be selected (with a blue checkmark).
  4. Now Click Connect
  5. Next I click Query
  6. The result should be a list of tables. Click the most recent table (The one at the top of the list) and take note of the number that appears in the box labeled Value.
  7. Click Disconnect
  8. Uncheck the box labeled Use OrderedDataStore (Change NOTHING else)
  9. Click on Connect again
  10. Now in the box labeled Key type the value you took note of in step 6 (The Value of the top most table from the first Query)
  11. Click Query one last time and voila, you can now see and edit the store that you made using DataStore2.

That is all there is to it. I wrote it out as detailed as possible, so all you need to do is read carefully. Once you do it the first time, you’ll understand how to do it every time. (probably)
This is the method for searching through your DataStore2 data using the Data Store Editor plugin in it’s current build.
Kampfkarren’s Official Solution

41 Likes