Does Roblox allow the use of FPS unlockers?

Hey, so I was watching some footage of people playing my bowling game with FPS unlockers, allowing them to get 400+ frames. It actually breaks some elements of my game, such as extremely quicker animations…

Does Roblox even allow this?

If so, is there any way I could combat this? Like, would there be a way I could use RenderStep to determine if the player is running above 60 frames??

Thanks.

5 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, yes, FPS unlockers are allowed.

I might be mistaken but it is possible to combat this, many posts have been created based on this, try searching it up:

– This post might help you VV

1 Like

There is also a method of workspace which is :GetRealPhysicsFPS().

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I’ll check this out. :slight_smile:

To confirm, yes FPS unlockers are allowed. At RDC 2019, a Roblox employee confirmed that there will be no moderation action taken toward those who use them.

5 Likes

As others have said, this is allowed.

As a way to combat this breaking game mechanics, you should use the deltaTime argument passed to RenderStepped/Stepped/Heartbeat to determine how much to move something. That will be the amount of time that passed since the event last ran.

5 Likes

the roblox support told me that fps unlockers are not allowed when i contacted them about this

EDIT: i recently emailed them again & now they’re not sure themselves if these should be allowed or not
i guess it’s up for the game developer to decide

5 Likes

That returns the fps of physics, not rendering.

1 Like

You are right! Adam Miller, VP of roblox engineering department confirmed this is allowed. You can check a short video of him saying this in RDC 2019 here!