Dragging tool | How do i fix this?

Hey all. Lately iv’e been trying to make a classic styled dragging/move system for parts, i have the basics done, but now i have issues to solve. And that is when dragging the part, its orientation and position does not affect it when placed on a moved/rotated object. And parts cannot be placed on the side of other parts. Some help will be much appreciated!

Functions from LocalScript
Mouse.Button1Down:Connect(function()
	if Mode.Value == 1 and Equipped == true then
		if Mouse.Target ~= nil then
			if Mouse.Target.Locked == false then
				SlashAnim()
				if Mouse.Target.Parent.ClassName == "Model" and Mouse.Target.Locked == false then

else
					if Mouse.Target:IsA("BasePart") then
						if Dragging == false then
							Dragging = true
							local Part = Mouse.Target
							ObjBeingDragged = Part
							ObjBeingDragged:BreakJoints()
							StartMoveObjectEvent:FireServer(ObjBeingDragged)
							ObjBeingDragged.Parent = Tool

local Increment = 1

local function filter(number,increment)
							    number = math.floor(number)
								number = number-(number%increment)
								return number
							end

while Dragging == true do
								wait()
								if ObjBeingDragged ~= nil and Mouse.Target ~= nil and Mouse.Target ~= ObjBeingDragged then
									Part.Anchored = true
									ObjBeingDragged.CanCollide = false
									Part.CFrame = CFrame.new(filter(Mouse.Hit.X,Increment),Mouse.Hit.Y + (Part.Size.Y/2),filter(Mouse.Hit.Z,Increment))
								end
							end
						end
					end
				end
			end
		end
	end
end)

function ReleaseObj()
	if ObjBeingDragged ~= nil then
		EndMoveObjectEvent:FireServer(ObjBeingDragged, ObjBeingDragged.Position, Mouse.Hit.X, Mouse.Hit.Y, Mouse.Hit.Z)
		ObjBeingDragged.Parent = game.Workspace
		ObjBeingDragged.CanCollide = true
		ObjBeingDragged = nil
		Dragging = false
	end
end
Functions from ServerScript
EndMoveEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, Object, Pos, mouseX, mouseY, mouseZ)

MouseX = mouseX 
	MouseY = mouseY
	MouseZ = mouseZ 

if Object.Parent.ClassName == "Model" then

else
		if Object:IsA("BasePart") then
			Object.CanCollide = true
			Object.Anchored = false
			Object.Parent = game.Workspace
			Object:BreakJoints()

local Increment = 1

local function filter(number,increment)
			    number = math.floor(number)
				number = number-(number%increment)
				return number
			end

Object.CFrame = CFrame.new(filter(MouseX,Increment),MouseY + (Object.Size.Y/2),filter(MouseZ,Increment))
			Object:MakeJoints()
		end	
	end
end)

StartMoveEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, Object, Pos)
	if Object.Parent.ClassName == "Model" then

else
		if Object:IsA("BasePart") then
			Object.CanCollide = false
			Object.Anchored = true
		end	
	end
end)
Short videos of the issues (YouTube)

Parts on walls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2moCkniiYWY&feature=youtu.be

Parts on slightly moved objects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTLA-JuodBk&feature=youtu.be

So for orientation problem. I am thinking about doing this. For the part that is draggable.

local Part = script.Parent

Part.Touched:Connect(function(Hit)
	if Hit ~= nil then
		if Hit.Parent and Hit:IsA("BasePart") then
			if game.Players:FindFirstChild(Hit.Parent.Name) then
			else
				Part.Orientation = Hit.Orientation
			end
		end
	end
end)

This may fix it, since when part touches something, it sets same orientation as the part that it touched

2 Likes

I remade the classic building tools a little while ago using the built in dragger object. If you want you can have a look at the code. Note, they aren’t perfect and are vulnerable to exploits.
https://www.roblox.com/library/3302235552/recent-btools

2 Likes

This is perfect. It is nice and easy to understand, not to difficult to get working with my tool system, and has all the required things that i needed. Thanks man!

all though, there is one issue. when i release my mouse button to place the part, it doesn’t attach to any surfaces. How would i fix this? iv’e even tried using the :MakeJoints() function, and not even that will work.

Your scale tool welds parts being scaled to what ever they are touching, but the drag and copy tool doesn’t have that weld / join surface feature.

Does your part have a surface that can attach to the other part’s surface? It will only weld if that’s the case. Last time I used the tools which wasn’t recently they worked fine, but Roblox have made some changes to surface joints recently which may be the reason why it’s no longer working. I’ll have a look at it when I get home.

1 Like

Yeah, even when i try to attach a part with studs, to a part with inlets, or even a weld surface, it will not work. Its like ever so slightly off centered or rotated when i drag it.

So it seems like an update has changed a few things. Firstly, any surface type now join to any other surface type and welds successfully, so a smooth surface will weld to any other surface including another smooth surface. Secondly, the copy tool no longer automatically welds the copied part, you have to move it a bit in order for it to weld.

As for your issue of nothing attaching at all, I’m not sure what could be causing that issue.

1 Like

Here’s the update thread: Changes to Surface-Based Welds and Part Property Setters

This looks related to the recent changes to surface weld tools in studio (which also changed the behavior of Workspace:JoinToOutsiders if you’re using that).

Read that post and see if the behavior matches what you’re seeing.

2 Likes

Do your tools work fine for you? Or am I the only one having this issue with your tools?

Thanks, I’ll have a look at this post after I do some work

My god, i have figured out why it wasnt joining surfaces. You have to enable the JoinSurfaces option in studio in the top bar > home > JoinSurfaces. I thought this would only affect building while in studio, not testing or playing the place.

Very strange move for ROBLOX to be totally honest. What if you wan’t to build in roblox studio with joining surfaces off. But have joining surfaces on in-game? Very weird if you ask me

This actually looks like a bug with when running studio in Play mode. MakeJoints should always work, regardless of the JoinSurfaces setting.
MakeJoints should still be functioning properly in a published live game, but it looks like if you enter Play mode while Join Surfaces is off, MakeJoints does nothing. I’ll get to fixing this soon after the holiday break.

1 Like