Easier way to find developers?

So recently I keep seeing over and over again posts and such looking for developers, as well as developers trying to commission. As good as this system is, it has its own flaws.

The Issues

I would like to first point out, this requires users to search through the forums to find the right developer for them which requires some work and can get a bit frustrating at times. My next point is that it is not efficent and their should be and easier way for developers to find each other.

Solution

The idea I had was to establish an advanced search engine into the Developer Forum that can easily bring up profiles depending on if you are looking to hire or be hired. As well as the price range you are looking to work at. Just this type of information on your profile can make it easier for many individuals instead of looking through posts.

Please let me know your feedback below thanks!

6 Likes

You can search #collaboration:portfolios and look for anyone that is for hire. The developer forum isn’t all about hiring people anyways. I don’t think we need an “advanced search engine” when you can look in portfolios. What you are proposing is pretty much a whole new website dedicated to recruiting people.

1 Like

Im mostly proposing more information be put on the users profile and allowing others to search upon that information as well. I mentioned previously that searching through portfolios is not the best way to do this in my opinion.

2 Likes

I agree partially, however when it comes to being the developer forum then you know what its all about, the developer forum is only based on if you want to ask for help, report bug fixes etc. So in my opinion, Roblox should at least create a seperate website where developers can collaborate and might even have the opportunity to create a development studio together.

I guess theres a lot of scripters that are looking for a partner to work with them and the same to builders as well so it will be pretty beneficial if Roblox created a seperate website for developer interaction.

Unforunately, I don’t see the problem on why searching for portfolios is not the best way. But for now as @incapaxx said the only way you could search for people to work with you/ work for them is by looking at #collaboration:portfolios.

1 Like

As someone who’s posted a portfolio on the DevForums, the one thing that really bothers me is that once you post a portfolio, you’re typically not going to get replies after the first couple days. This means it’ll hit the 14-day reply limit and lock up, and you won’t be able to bring that portfolio back up even if you want to be hired. I experienced this before, and while I’m not looking for a commission right now, I can see from a buyer’s perspective that this is an issue in the sense that you’d have to scroll down pretty far to find portfolios that may actually have the developers who best fit your needs.

If anything, the portfolio section shouldn’t be in a forum layout sorted top to bottom by date, but should be in some other format. I haven’t given much thought into whether that should be a grid layout or anything specific, but right now it’s pretty bad for portfolios that get pushed to the bottom. The only way to bring them back is to repost them, which I don’t think is really the best possible solution.

2 Likes

Portfolios doesn’t have an auto-lock timer and never had, so I think you are misremembering.

2 Likes

The 2020 road map mentioned a “Creator Talent Hub” coming out in the 4th quarter of the year. Roblox might already be working on what you’re asking for, but the details given on the road map are pretty vague.

2 Likes

Ah yes that seems like a possibility. Where did you find that?

Here is the announcement thread:

So after reading this it obviously seems very vague, though it has to be taken into consideration that they didn’t seem to start working on it because it is dated for end of this year. I wish we were given more clarification as to what a hub would look like and how it would run.

I second that. I wish you can see these types of thing in a more convenient place, so you aren’t constantly looking at portfolios that are out of your budget.

Ya I recently published a game that is in its early stages that has some features relating to this.
https://www.roblox.com/games/4796812099/Easter-Party-Developer-Hub#!/game-instances

That would be nice! I am late though sorry. It is so hard finding the right devs