[ENABLED as of May 28] SocialService Game Invites are Live

I want you to take a moment to appreciate the crux of what you just said: You don’t care about people being spammed and annoyed because you are gaining users.

Feelings like this are why we can’t have nice things. I suppose you also wouldn’t have cared about spamming people with mobile ads so long as you were getting Robux out of it?

8 Likes

I realize my mistake. In the end the dev ecosystem is still made up of individuals rather than soulless large corporations. By being in their environment, it seems my sense of morality is far removed from what is used to be.

11 Likes

See, what I’d have done is jerryrigged a system that required you to get someone to join you after they are invited in order to get a bonus. Then the objective is to get them to join, rather than to send X invites.

2 Likes

If it requires you to get somebody to join then why does the SocialService have none of this in the API … giving the excuse of “this is what this service is suppose to do” isn’t very clear because Roblox themselves were very vague with its intended use other than to just send invites and see how many people were invited.

If it’s intended use was to get people to join, why was it called the SocialService and not a ReferralService. And like I said above, even with copious amounts of limitations, players still invite 50+ friends at a time even when you limit it to only 1 invite per 6 hours

6 Likes

I’m only going to implement something using this for match invites only (also, I’ll make it so where they can’t use it once the match is prepped, so yeah).

3 Likes

me my friends spam me from the new pet game and it’s very annoying

it’s not a discussion but spam every day

4 Likes

If it was intended to allow players to spam invites to each other, it should have been called “AnnoyFriendsService”.

15 Likes

is there a way where we can turn off receiving invites?

I dont like pet ranch simulator and its getting spammed all over roblox

2 Likes

They supposedly disabled the feature for now so you shouldn’t be getting them.

Edit: No you can’t. Instead you can unfriend people that spam you with them.

3 Likes

You can still send them from the esc menu.

3 Likes

It should have a function to send specific players on the friends list an invite, so that say you’re in a game lobby and you want to invite a friend, but the game has a custom UI for inviting friends in separate Lobbies, it’d be a real pain having to open a separate menu just to invite friends who aren’t already in a separate game lobby

1 Like

Then devs could spam invites to every friend someone has upon join

3 Likes

Any idea on when this will get added back?

2 Likes

See the above posts in the thread:

4 Likes

It should have a cool down and return an error or warning when you use it too fast

1 Like

I love how the majority of the feedback on this feature are criticizing it being used as a referral system in the implementation that almost every other game out there uses.

It needs a built in cooldown and an option to be turned off by users recieving messages. That’s it.

5 Likes

Depends on which referral system you’re referencing. My favorite example being this was executed in a rather unique way.

Not only does their system benefit blizzard by bringing in new players yet it also rewards the recruiters, recruits in a balanced way.

If no interest is shown in the invitation it can’t be resent as it’s a one time offer. Player rewards are optional not obligated nor should those that deny the limited time offer be rewarded as that shows the player how desperate you are to get them hooked.

From a players perspective if a game reeks of desperation they’re going to judge the game based on past experiences which rarely is ever a positive result. Once the invite is sent it should never be resent under any circumstance as being an annoyance just makes the player stray further from showing any interest.

In fact it could result in that particular annoying player slandering your game resulting in a chain reaction of negative results. It mustn’t be forgotten how Roblox’s target audience is children that look up to role models for guidance and sometimes even to make decisions for them. This particular Youtuber had mentioned ways the system could be abused with hypotheticals to strengthen his point.

You’re right that’s what it needs yet that doesn’t mean other limitations need to be in place. It’s a choice to not allow us to use the following:

• Custom message rather than default.
  • Restrict invites based on similar emails or IP’s.

While I understand not everyone is going to use the features without ill intentions it doesn’t justify punishing those based on fear.

2 Likes
  1. Unfriend people who spam
  2. Disable web chat if you don’t use it

[EDIT]: This now disables group wall posts, so I wouldn’t recommend the second. The first is still your go-to solution imo :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Disabling web chat also disabled group posting and other communication though.

1 Like

Including Roblox at one point through the Ambassador program.

3 Likes