Enabling Players to Join any Place in your Experience

Some good work, this is a good update

4 Likes

This is ALMOST a good new feature but it’s for all the places or only root place.
I beg you, add advanced settings to be able to choose which place can be reached and others not.
In my games I sometimes need to prevent access to certain secret places.

5 Likes

Ah, this announcement sounds like they worked on this issue

Very cool!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback.

A ton of your comments are on adding the ability to toggle joins for individual places. We hear you, and I’m excited to say that we’ll be working on this moving forward. Look out for an update that makes this possible in the future. I can’t say definitively when that’ll happen yet, but stay tuned.

7 Likes

this took roblox 6+ years to enable since i saw first post asking for that feature to be back…

2 Likes

Hi sam (and also the others with similar comments) - thanks for this feedback. I can’t promise anything concrete yet, but I’ve forward all the comments here on this topic with the people who can make this happen so that we can make sure this avenue for exploits is addressed.

8 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to enabling this in my games when that’s available, it’ll be a huge help for organizing events without being at the mercy of TeleportService making new servers all the time.

2 Likes

ironically this will be a little iffy for people who have “unprotected” test servers.
it is a good update though, i was getting rather annoyed of being locked out of my own test servers.

2 Likes

I think this is great and as long as it’s somthing we can toggle I think this will really help however what would be even better if its not already like this is being able to choose what places we can allow them to join for.

4 Likes

finally a good update!!!

3 Likes

YES! I find it annoying to work with multiple places especially testing in-game when I have to go from one place to the next.

What if I want to work with teleport data? Usually when having multiple places, teleporting to a place from the root place with data can be important. Since now the teleport can be skipped.

since you dont appear to be doing that already (which you should, for a couple of reasons) have default values. This is not something roblox should or needs to care about

1 Like

@tareyza Hi, can this be addressed please

Read this man’s comment Roblox!

1 Like

This is excellent news! This has been something desperately needed ever since the release of multi-place experiences.

Direct friend following to a place is great, but some places in my game are end-game story sequences. I wouldn’t want someone to accidentally follow their friend to a place full of story spoilers.

But as a workaround, I could including special teleport data for every place teleports my code initiates. If a player join a spoiler place without my special teleport data, I can assume Roblox matched the player directly with their friend and teleport them out immediately before spoilers are witnessed.

Any flaws with that plan?

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea, however, I’d be tempted to check the player’s access requirements to said place when they join a server, and then teleport them back to earlier worlds if they do not have the requirements to be in the later stages of the game.

This would only work though if you had some kind of metric to measure one’s progress through your game.

1 Like

Great addition! However there is still stuff that the developers want.

Usering pretty much mentioned it all:

Here’s a feature request from 2021, which mentions all this in detail:

1 Like

Joining places by their link (“www.roblox.com/games/1234”) still falls back to the starter place. Furthermore, using LaunchData links (“www.roblox.com/games/start?placeId=1234&launchData=”) on places other than the start place kicks you from the game by throwing a permission issue.

I think those cases should be allowed if we enable this setting. Would be really cool! We have an experience with a lot of developer places inside, being able to join and test them from the website would be really good!

Overall its an amazing feature, thank you for adding!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.