Enact a Zero-Tolerance policy for Troll Posts

The reason they were suspended was due to a suicide threat. (AFAIK).

4 Likes

I agree, I have barely seen any troll posts for weeks, and anyone who does create a troll posts typically gets suspended.

Good job DevForum!
:partying_face:

2 Likes

This needs to be a thing. There is a troll going around right now swearing, posting nsfw-ish stuff, and posting hacked models / scripts. There needs to be no tolerance, and if it gets as far as what I said, they should issue ip bans since they will probably come back.

1 Like

Unfortunately, they only got a 2 day suspension. Things like this should be taken more seriously. And one of their NSFW topics is still up.

Update: The user has been removed from the forum AFAIK

3 Likes

You’re right, but it’s funny to watch people do stupid things.
I suppose I just want things to stay interesting

Among the things I read and saw today were:

• NSFW videos
  • Several pictures of “naked” avatars
  • Countless spam replies such as “BUMPBUMPBUMP”
  • And the weirdest of them all, a community tutorial that consisted of an apple pie recipe

If users couldn’t post replies if let’s say three of them get flagged, most of the things the user did wouldn’t have happened. Dozens of the user’s replies and topics were hidden by the community, and all he did was edit them to bring them back, just to get them flagged again.

We could prevent things like this from happening if we implement features such as (many of them have been requested already):

• Topic cooldown of 10 minutes (wouldn’t hurt most developers)
  • Prevent users from posting if their post gets flagged
  • Lock posts after they are flagged
  • Minimum account age of 90 days, the user who spammed the forum today created their account the day before they joined
  • Increase the read time to become a member from 3 hours to 4-5 hours, this will ensure only serious developers join the forum
2 Likes

They should also make the requirements for reading topics/replies based on how frequently you visit the forum, right now they are hard requirements. You can read for half the requirements, stop for months then read another half and boom you are accepted. The requirements could scale higher the more inactive you are, this would encourage only the more serious users to join.

Even if it must be implemented through a plugin

2 Likes

i feel ban hammer isnt of any use, a person could easily create another account, and get into forum

I’m not 100% sure about this but I’m pretty aure moderators can IP ban users from the DevForum.

Adding onto this, flagged posts should be locked. The vast majority of flagged posts will still show up in the topic, and people still take the bait and reply to them, bumping up their popularity and encouraging others to do the same.

Replies are part of the problem and replies to troll threads should result in warnings.

1 Like

IP ban doesn’t work well, one can easily circumvent the ban by using a VPN.

Lots of people lack forum etiquette. The phrase “we do a little trolling” is not taken lightly around here.

1 Like

If you see any memes posted, character requirement bypasses, or “lololololololol” type replies, please flag them as spam. This way, people could at least understand that this is a professional forum for developers, not a social media platform or “The new Roblox forums”.

If you visit the links to the troll topics that have been posted above, you will see how immature many users are when it comes to replying to troll topics; they barely use proper or understandable grammar, they post countless memes, and post extremely off-topic replies.

I am honestly sick of people using the forum as a social media platform and as a like farm. Until we can slow down the spread of troll topics, we just need to keep on flagging.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to flag, reply, or vote on posts for 2 years. I just got my membership back today, so I’ll make sure to report any post that would be considered trolling.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t been paying attention or if it’s been occurring in places I don’t look at much but trolling seems to be happening more frequently. Every few days it seems like a random beamed account starts posting inappropriate content into random places on the forum.

A chance is deserved for everyone. I personaly believe that we should at least give them a chance, but increase the punishment to 2 strikes.

Troll posts are different from people who make posts by mistake, it’s intentional, and should not be tolerated here, also, if you’re looking at troll posts’ authors normally they’re either compromised accounts or accounts that are intentionally made to make troll posts here in the Developer Forum.

The feasible solution to this is instant moderation action taken against the violator especially if it’s trolling, not just warnings or strikes because there’s almost no tendency they would learn from their mistakes, especially about trollers in an online platform.

4 Likes