External application API

There’s already been several successful web development projects done outside of roblox but oriented around it, such as scripting helpers and various game management systems. It’s now become popular to see the same method of roblox account authentication, the player signs up to the site, the site generates a code, the player puts the code in their roblox accounts blurb and the site verifies the account based on that.

Whilst that works, it’s an out-dated approach to linking accounts across the web and it’s become very common to witness the process of signing into web applications with your google, facebook or twitter accounts using their respective external APIs.

What I’d like to suggest is that a more extensive API is developed for the roblox website that will give us the ability to find out more about various assets, players, games and so on. Alongside this I suggest an oAuth2 system be put in place for linking accounts securely between roblox and external applications. Another part of the API that would help me specifically in my plans for roblox web development is the ability to launch a game without navigating to roblox first. A group portfolio for example should be able to launch the games there and then without having to jump through to another page, unless the user is not logged into roblox during their current session.

If you’d like a detailed list of the kind of information I’d like to retrieve please let me know, if any other web-developers would like to make suggestions feel free and I’ll compile a list in this post.

3 Likes

Yer this would be amazing.

Yes, there needs to be an OAuth. It would be easier for the users of those web aps.
A Roblox “Mobile Forum” project died somehow due this because someone wouldn’t login on an external site with his password.

The OAuth may maybe include ‘apps’ with it. Those apps specify the access that they need to the account. For example, sending PMs, reading PMs, archiving PMS, posting on the forum,…

In my opinion, it would help developers to create mind-blowing web apps.

1 Like

I’m going to bump this up, but more because I don’t want to use hacky cURLs and send post requests to links made for the mobile apps.

Please give us a proper API to do this. Facebook did it, Twitter did it, Google did it. Where are you Roblox?

1 Like

I wanna link my Roblox account to Google.

1 Like

Is there any particular reason besides one account to rule them all?

1 Like

Cellphone login verification, direct link to YouTube (for video uploads), and many other possibilities. :imagine:

1 Like

[quote] There’s already been several successful web development projects done outside of roblox but oriented around it, such as scripting helpers and various game management systems. It’s now become popular to see the same method of roblox account authentication, the player signs up to the site, the site generates a code, the player puts the code in their roblox accounts blurb and the site verifies the account based on that.

Whilst that works, it’s an out-dated approach to linking accounts across the web and it’s become very common to witness the process of signing into web applications with your google, facebook or twitter accounts using their respective external APIs.

What I’d like to suggest is that a more extensive API is developed for the roblox website that will give us the ability to find out more about various assets, players, games and so on. Alongside this I suggest an oAuth2 system be put in place for linking accounts securely between roblox and external applications. Another part of the API that would help me specifically in my plans for roblox web development is the ability to launch a game without navigating to roblox first. A group portfolio for example should be able to launch the games there and then without having to jump through to another page, unless the user is not logged into roblox during their current session.

If you’d like a detailed list of the kind of information I’d like to retrieve please let me know, if any other web-developers would like to make suggestions feel free and I’ll compile a list in this post. [/quote]

Oh sweet Jesus. Yes. OAuth2 would be amazing.

1 Like

Everything I thanked basically represents what I think too.

SO ONWARD, WITH THE APIIII…

pls?

Can we get an admin response?

2 Likes

We have implemented OAuth2.0 and it’s publicly available in beta:

Note that the number of Open Cloud scopes available to OAuth2.0 is limited currently. My suggestion is to file separate feature requests for specific scopes that you need to be added to Open Cloud (API Key + OAuth2.0).