Faster Ways to Place New Parts

I’m trying to make a game that uses voxel art (everything is made of cubes that are 0.1 by 0.1 by 0.1 studs in volume), but I can’t figure out a way to make new parts with a specific size easily. Right now, all I can do is copy and paste parts in studio and place them where I want them to go, but it would be really nice if I could just click a spot to place a new part. Copying, pasting, then moving parts takes a long time and really slows down the building process. Does anyone know if this functionality is supported by Roblox Studio? Or is there a plugin to do that? I tried looking up stuff online, but I can’t find any plugins or specific settings that I can use to accomplish this.

You may then include any further details.

4 Likes

Are you using the ctrl + D shortcut to copy the parts?

I made this plugin for fun.
I don’t know if it solves your problem but it’s here just in case lol.
You can set the size and the key which will spawn the part.
It gets put in front of your camera.
If you want any changes lmk.

Brushtool plugin works really well.

1 Like

Oh, I’ve tried ctrl + D too, but I still have to move the part after duplicating it. I just want to be able to place parts along a grid kind of like what you do in Minecraft. It would significantly speed up the process of building voxel models because all my models are made of tiny cubes that are all the same size.

Ooh! I’ll be sure to give that a try.

1 Like

Here is the link:

Works really well.

1 Like

Hmm, it doesn’t work for tiny parts, though. I’m working with cubes that are 0.1 by 0.1 by 0.1 studs. When I try to use the brush tool to make those cubes, it just creates dozens of them randomly spaced apart.

You need to adjust the settings
… it will clone any part you choose (or model) and either stamp it where you want or brush it into the terrain in any method you choose, such as spacing or rotation or such.

The brush tool seems to make a lot of parts instead of just 1 part per click, and I can’t control the brush so that it snaps to a grid.

If you want one part use the stamp tool.

There should be a setting that snaps it to the terrain.

I guess I’ll have to make my own plugin. I’m surprised the option to rapidly place parts like you do in Minecraft isn’t available in Roblox Studio. It sure would save a lot of time…

1 Like

Oh, I tried the stamp tool, but there’s no snap setting.

Oh you mean on an axis… hmmm. Yeah dont think this can be done in this plugin.

Okay, I managed to hack together a plugin that does what I want.

Will this plugin be open sourced by any chance?..asking for a friend

Actually, the plugin doesn’t work for small increments due to floating point errors. Ugh, this is so annoying. If I try to use an increment of 0.1 on small parts, floating point errors mess up the placement. I tried rounding, but even the rounding function is affected by floating point errors. I don’t know if I should publish a broken plugin :frowning:

1 Like

Fair enough, goodluck with hopefully working out the kinks

Okay, I give up. I swear roblox is bugged. I can’t round 0.899999 to 0.9 for some reason. It’s just not working.

atleast you tried. guess it wasn’t one of those things that could be fixed