Feedback on 2D Powder and Fluid Simulation Sandbox Game!

This is unbelievably… cool!

Very underrated, was surprised it only had 1k visits.

2 Likes

LARGE UPDATE:

The game has received a massive update with heaps of new elements and features that are very fun to mess around with!

New Features:

• Ambient Temperature Controller
    There is now an ambient temperature system and textbox which lets you set the temperature of the world in your creation in degrees celsius (°C). Changing the ambient temperature will change or alter how elements behave (for example, setting the temperature below 0°C will freeze water and other elements and fire will become weaker) Currently, these values can span from -1000°C to 3000°C.

• Hot Metal
    Metal can now be heated up with fire, torch, other hot elements, and very high ambient temperatures to create heat up and create hot metal. Hot metal can ignite certain elements and boil/evaporate water which will create heaps of steam

• Metal Corrosion and Rust
    Metal can now become rusty and slowly break away via Salt Water.

• Burnt Wood
    Wood that has been set on fire and not completely burnt away, will leave burnt wood behind which isn’t as flammable as wood and has a darker appearance.

New Elements:

• Salt Water [Liquid]: Behaves like water, but will slowly corrode and break away metal leaving rust behind

• Snow [Powder]: A powder that will melt at 30°C or more

• Wax [Solid]: A solid that melts at 60°C and will create liquid wax which can reharden if theres no heat around

• Firework [Powder]: An object that can be lit via fuses or hot elements/temperatures which will launch the firework in the air an exploding shorty after.

• Gas [Particle]: An long-lasting explosive gas that is highly flammable

• Drain [Solid]: A solid element that will instantly remove most loose elements (such as powders and liquids)

1 Like

Forget those “simulator [NEW PET]” games, this game is a true simulator.

3 Likes

VERY satisfiying game the gas and fire especially well made, also a tip generally oil settles ontop of water due to difference in density

1 Like

This is impressive! The animations are realistic and fluid.

SMALL UPDATE:

This version of the game introduces some interesting features which were put on hold for quite some time now:

• Elements now have multiple colours!
    This was possible due to me finally giving every particle in the scene their own properties (such as colours, extra data, etc). This will allow me to eventually implement things like velocity, timers, and other cool things to enhance and add new elements!

• One downside to this update that I have discovered is the fact that this feature slightly killed the performance of the game. Hopefully I can optimise this and fix this soon!
  • Added a ‘Square’ brush
    Creating boxes and square shapes should now be much easier!

LARGE UPDATE:

This version of the game contains a bunch of new features, physics and elements:

• Added a simulation speed controller button (Slow down time!)
  • Changed how cells get affected by gravity
  • Added Nitroglycerin. A highly explosive liquid
  • Added Glass. A very transparent material that shatters - Made explosions look better and fling loose materials (such as powders and liquids)
  • Updated Mite (They now have proper jumping physics)
  • Updated Fuse sparks (More convincing physics)
  • Line tool now has variable thickness
  • You can now draw lines with brushes very quickly without gaps (no more blobs of elements from moving your mouse too quickly)
3 Likes

SMALL UPDATE:

I decided to fix some things and slightly improve the performance of this game. I have also added a few other things too:

• Performance improvements

• Liquids now have different densities and each liquid will rise or sink when mixed
    (for example, oil will rise to the top when mixed with water)

• Added a hint textbox when you hover your mouse over elements in the toolbar.
    This textbox will give you information on the element and what it does!

1 Like

This is actually probably the best game I have ever seen! Gives me nostalgia from those pixel games I used to play in school lol.

One problem I have with this is that it is very laggy. I get around 30 fps with no slow-mo, and 45 fps on very high slow-mo.

If you can possibly optimize this, then this would be the game of the year lol.

EDIT:
Found a bug.

I was just playing around with this and it randomly stopped working after I added lava.

1 Like

Improving performance is definitely my main priority at the moment. Hopefully we will be able to get a solid 50 or 60 FPS with heaps of liquids on screen.

Also I have just applied a bug fix with liquids and lava. Let me know if that fixed the issue

1 Like

UPDATE:

This update contains some needed optimisations and some new elements:

• Added Lightning (Element)

• Added Rain Cloud (Element)

• Added Thunder Cloud (Element)

• Added a simple graphics mode
    (heavily improves performance and framerate)

• Greatly optimised the gameplay by implementing a chunk-based sleeping system

• Fixed the element toolbar not adjusting scrolling distance correctly

• Fixed up some misalignment in the text on the UI

You should now be able to mostly get a solid 50 FPS to 60 FPS when messing around in the game normally.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Still get an average below 30 fps while on simple mode. (I got 21 fps right after this screenshot lol)

Maybe it is just my laptop since its like 7 years old but, just letting u know

1 Like

Nostalgic! most of the people completely forgot powder toy game, including me!
Thank you for recreating this in roblox.

1 Like

Yeah most likely your computer age.

My mid-range laptop can usually run this at 50-60 dis-including heavy use of large moving masses like lava pools. Even my iphone-8 does 60 fps usually, so pretty good.

All though more optimisations are planed, so not all is lost.

1 Like

UPDATE:

This update contains a few additions, and some bug fixes and improvements. A second part of this update will be releasing soon with a featured creations section. So stay tuned!

• Added preview icons to the save and load creation menu.

• Added Spark (element).

• Sparks will now detonate combustible elements.

• Slight performance improvements.

• Slightly increased the play area of the canvas.

• Improved explosions.

• Torches will now turn into coal instead of air when it gets quenched.

• Reworked fireworks. Fireworks now have a fuse instead of a random chance of exploding. Fireworks will also produce a proper colourful firework-like explosion instead of a ball of fire.

• A fuse lit under water will now produce steam instead of sparks.

• Acid will now corrode metal much faster and instantly produce rust.

• Fixed steam not dissapearing when the ambient temperature is set to very high.

• Fixed a slight issue with overwriting creations.

• Minor bug fixes.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

Sorry if it has been a bit since a update has come out, but recently this game has been getting tons of players, so now I am celebrating with an update that includes user-made creations to be uploaded and shared in-game!

• Community creations! You can now share, load and like an infinite amount of creations made by you guys!

• Mobile users can now select drawing tools.

• Added foam, an element that can put out fires.

• Added a confirm clear prompt when you press the ‘CLEAR’ button.

• Added a preview cursor for mobile users when they change their brush size.

• Added some keyboard shortcuts to some of the buttons.

• Smoke is now a byproduct of fire burning stuff.

• The cursor no longer gets left behind when mobile users stop drawing elements.

• Adjusted the UI a bit so the outlines and borders on the menus are consistent

• Renamed the ‘CREATIONS’ button to ‘MENU’.

• Fixed drains not working on Mites

• Fixed an issue where the canvas wont fit correctly on smaller devices

• Fixed a bug where sparks and lit fuses can heat up metal

• Fixed fuses sometimes not being able to set off explosives

• Fixed sparks from being able to set off TNT and Nukes

• Fixed a bug where acid wouldn’t destroy oil

• Fixed a bug where mobile users couldn’t enter text properly into the creation name textbox when saving.

2 Likes

LARGE UPDATE

Hey all, I keep forgetting to post updates here, but this game is now huge and has lots of new features.

The game now has simple 2D box physics, has a controllable player, entities, and now runs on two separate physics engines.

I hope you all enjoy the game.

Feedback greatly appreciated too!

1 Like

2 Year Anniversary - 17 Major Updates

Game Icon 2.0

Recently a few months ago the game has reached an age of 2 years, and since then a lot has changed.

The Powder Box is the largest and the first ever successful 2D physics simulation game to ever hit roblox. The game has recently turned 2 years old, and is available on all devices except VR.

This game was released on the 29th of March 2022 and since then the game has received over 17 large updates and a small but dedicated community and fan base.

As of 2024, the game now has a visit count of over 18 million and concurrent active user counts that has peaked as high as 1.7k!

I have updated this thread and bumped the topic as I would like to receive some genuine thoughts and feedback on this game as a lot has changed.

2 Likes