Feedback on my GFX

So I’m just testing some lighting on blender but I need some of your thoughts on how to improve.

2 Likes

Very nice volumetric-looking lighting! The rays are really well done, but they could be a bit brighter and slightly more yellow since the lighting on trees of the HDRI(?) outside seems to be slightly warmer.

Overall well done, but it is a little dark and gloomy, so brighter lighting would definitely help. More sampling could smoothen out the top left corner as well, but good work!

1 Like

The lighting looks great! But it doesn’t look like real sunlight, maybe add some warmth to it? Not much though as the scene outside seems to be winter.

1 Like

Here’s my 20 cents:

The lighting out the window, and the reflection on this tree seems slightly warmer than the light rays and the light reflecting off the floor. Tinting the light rays to be slightly more yellow or range will make the scene a little warmer, but also slightly more photorealistic.

The next part is the character. He seems to block a great deal of light coming from the window, and he looks kind of lonely, contrasting with the smile on his face. I suggest adding a small lamp in the space next to him, and maybe a coffee table.

Finally, there appears to be a lot of noise in the image, which takes away from the photorealism. Adjusting the sample count in the rendering tab (mine’s currently at 16 for fast rending) , as you may have noticed, will increase the render time significantly.
Alternatively, you can use 2.81’s Denoise filter. Powered by Intel, and fully compatible with AMD (after all, it’s just code). It adds an extra 25 seconds to the render time, but you can use up to 50% less samples for the same quality.

How to use the Blender Denoise function

Step 0. Check f you’re using Blender 2.81, as it’s installed by default here. If not, download it now.

Step 1. Go to the Compositing tab (You can do Step 2 in any other ones, but this is so you won’t have to later.)

Step 2. Go to the View layer menu in the Properties editor, and make sure that Denoising Data is checked.

Step 3. In the Compositor window (the main one) check Use Nodes

Step 4. Go to Add>Filters>Denoise and set the Denoise node up like so:

Step 5. Re-render your scene.

Edit 2: Reformatted the guide for the denoiser.
Cheers!

4 Likes

Thanks for your solutions especially the Denoise function!

I would tell you that this is pretty nice, and also, I would recommend you to use the lighting named: AREA.
This is a nice lighting when we’re talking about photorealism.
At this render, I used the AREA lighting:

I edited it in photoshop, but all I did is make it brigther and get more contrast, you should also use photoshop.

Without photoshop:

2 Likes

How to make the folds?
Capture

Ripper made a tutorial about it here’s the post

1 Like