Feedback on my Katana remodel?

Katana model looking great, love the sun tsuba.

1 Like

RTX: On

Jokes aside, that guard is very impressive, and I really liked how you wrapped the hilt.

Out of curiosity, how do you plan on getting this onto Roblox? The wrapping does look pretty high definition so I’m guessing there’s a lot of triangles. Baking maybe?

1 Like

Very Professional and Realistic

1 Like

I’ve toned down the wrapping quite a bit, mostly by disabling their edges. The model currently has 5.2K triangles.

Looks great. But this looks like it goes over the blade holder. image

I would try looking into potentially baking the light or AO from your high poly model down into a texture and putting it on your lower poly model. I’ve managed to make some really good textures doing so.

Don’t know how other programs do it but substance painter allows you to do this easily by using one of the bake filters and exporting the base color result from it.

1 Like

I would like to get into Substance Painter soon. How much easier would you say it is to use Substance Painter for texturing (both color maps as well as normal maps) as compared to blender? What are the advantages? Thanks!

If you’re aiming to use the katana inside the game, then the triangles count is too much. For the handle, I suggest using 6-8 vertex cylinders, 12 at most. The wrap has too much detail, consider adding the wrap on the texturing stage, not modelling. If it’s gonna represent a render of the weapon, then it’s all good.

I see why you’d think that, but a habaki typically is designed that way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I’ve narrowed the tris count down to 2768, an acceptable tris count I believe.

That’ll probably work, I think.

1 Like

Very nice, The leather on the handle looks clean with the metal and gold. You definitely improved from the first time.

1 Like