[Feedback Please] Drawing of my Character

Here is my drawing,

Please review the following request when replying,

Tell me what you think I could improve on.

Give me recommendations on apps I could use (did this on paint.net) or tutorials I could watch.

Tell me what you like about my drawing

Do you think that if I improved, I could do commisions?

Anything else that you can post that follows the DeveloperFourm Rules

Thank you,
Msami

4 Likes

Hey @msami7893. Your drawing for starter is alright. Just keep practicing everyday and you’ll get better.

1 Like

Yes, I just started. Thanks for the thoughts. Also I know the arm is pretty out of place.

First, since you’ve recently just started, I recommend looking into drawing tablets if you’re thinking of making art as a career. It’ll definitely help you in the long run as you’ll be able to familiarize yourself with it earlier. I have one that’s around 40 dollars and it’s absolutely amazing. The surface drawing area is huge for its price, compared to wacoms. The brand is XP-Pen.

Next, this is a very broad topic, but I highly suggest learning the proper proportions/anatomy of a human first. This is so that you won’t have to limit your work solely in roblox and have other options. Learning anatomy will also help you out in the end. A few days of practicing won’t do, perhaps a year. The pay out will be worth it. It’s best to start learning when you’ve just started as your mind will absorb the information really quickly.

Second, a good free drawing app is Krita. It has most, if not all the stuff you’re looking for.

Third, it looks okay! The choice of colors are well done and pretty pleasing to the eyes.

Lastly, yes. You’ll definitely be able to take up commissions when you’ve improved.

6 Likes

Hi there, thanks for your response. :smile: I’m not looking to purchase a drawing tablet and you will know why in the following answer.

Also, that’s a pretty deep topic so I can think about it but not sure.

So about the drawing tablet and that app, I currently have an Apple Pencil which I use for my iPad on Procreate which is $10 USD . I didn’t draw the above with my iPad, I did it on paint.net but I use my iPad to do some of my commision work for making logos.

Thanks again,

Msami :heart:

1 Like

Personally, I use ibisPaint X on my phone (it’s free), and I don’t use any stylus pens. For reference, my art looks like this: [PERMANENTLY CLOSED] 2D Digital Artist and Icon Designer - #13 by Maventine
I’ve never used Paint.net, so I’m not sure how it works. However, here are some tips I can give you:

1. Fix the anatomy. There are many tutorials out there on YouTube. It really depends on what type of style you’re going for. Personally, I’d say you should fix the arms and the hands the most. The arms are too thin for a torso that is so wide.
  2. Sketch first, then draw. I believe that paint.net allows you to work on multiple layers. On the first layer, draw with a graphite pencil tool and make the color blue (this will be useful when you start inking). Sketching allows you to draw your image with room for improvement. It’s a vital step in the drawing
  3. Make a new layer for inking. Turn down the opacity of the sketch layer, and on the new layer, start inking. What pen tool you use doesn’t really matter. However, I think, if you’re going for a cartoony style, a thick pen size is better than a thin pen size.
  4. When inking/doing lineart, I recommend putting the stabilizer as high as possible (if your program or drawing tablet allows it, of course). In ibisPaint X, I always sketch with 0 stabilizer and always ink with 10 stabilizer. The stabilizer allows you to have smooth lines. This is perfect if you’re going for a cartoony style. You can see that the lines in your drawing are very crooked:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.26.51 PM
  5. When using the bucket tool, check the edge for any gap mistakes. The bucket tool is not accurate, and it can leave some white spots near the edges. Try filling them up. You can see you missed some spots here:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.07.03 PM
    Also, I always color in a new layer above the inking layer. And then, when I’m done coloring, I put it below the inking layer.
  6. Shade. This is what makes an image really pop. Now, how you shade is really up to you. Personally, I shade by having a new layer and clipping it to the coloring layer. The shading layer will have a blend mode of “multiply” and an opacity of around 50% (more or less, depending on the color of the shade and the color of the art). I usually shade with dark but saturated colors, like purple, red, and blue (instead of the usual black or gray). In one of my art, you could see I shade with orange:

And, in another art, you could see I shade with pink:

Once again, it’s really up to you. Also, when I shade, the stabilizer is usually around 2 or something.
  7. Highlight. This is very similar to shading, but it’s more sparse and the blending mode is usually at “screen” or “overlay” or “soft light” or something (usually, I experiment to see which blending modes best fit the art).

Now, I’m not sure how to use paint.net, but if you’re ever planning on using ibisPaint X, here are some tutorials (they could be applied to other drawing programs too):
LINEART: How I draw my lineart - Ibispaint X - YouTube
SIMPLE SHADING: ibisPaint X: How I Shade Using 1 Color! - YouTube
EXTRA (not for ibisPaintX, but still good advice): 7 Easy Ways to Make Your Digital Art Better! | Parblo 1610 Pro - YouTube

Your drawing is decent, but it has room for improvement, like everyone else. This is a good first step, and I like the colors in the drawing.
Do I think you could do commissions if you improved? ABSOLUTELY! I think everyone has the potential to do art commissions.

1 Like

Hey! Thank you so much for your detailed response, I will definitely follow it. I went for a new style of drawing using my apple pencil on my ipad. How do you like that? I am thinking about learning anatomy.

That’s actually really good! I took one look at it and I’m definitely impressed! You have changed a lot since the first picture, and in such a short amount of time, too. It looks really good. All I could say is probably to use a stabilizer since the lines DO look sorta shaky. Other than that, you have definitely improved!

Yeah I can try that. Thanks!

30characters

You definitely need more practice. Keep practicing!

Please review these rather then the posted art.

[/quote]

1 Like