Filter String within studio (plugin development) (TOS issue?)

I got an error when I tried filtering text.

Tried it with a plugin and in edit mode.

3 Likes

I didn’t

local  result : TextFilterResult = game.TextService:FilterStringAsync("Lol Test", game:GetService("StudioService"):GetUserId())
	print(result:GetNonChatStringForBroadcastAsync())

I connected this with a plugin widget so it fires when my plugin is actively working and is fired in a plugin script so that studio service is available

3 Likes

And it prints out unfiltered strings?

Sry, I noticed you marked your post as a solution. Then got the mark removed.

3 Likes

Yup. I tried some strings that should filter for under 13 year old accounts (just to make sure my account was safe, but wasn’t worried about it), and it was not filtered. I tired more and I haven’t gotten a filtered result (around 15 different results). At all. I am certain that the filter doesn’t work in studio, as I remeber it doesn’t work in a play test result. Only issue is again, this plugin would be public meaning I’m kinda responsible as the creator of the plugin for what it randomly generates

Meant to edit my post, and misclicked it as a Solution lol

4 Likes

Ok I tried it with Team Create enabled and that works.

4 Likes

I’m curious.

Do u mind if I asked u what ur plugin does?

Also I read this similar topic about filtering text within Studio

He used encoding for the strings.

4 Likes

My plugin is a tool set, and one of the tools is unique naming. It allows you to generate unique names to up to hundreds of instances at a time. Thats a basic rundown, but it does a tad more, but for team create sessions, many people would see these names, and if I sell the plugin, every person I sell it to can see these names. I need these names to be readable, and clean results, as I don’t want long unreadable names. So doing a Decoding into only numbers won’t work in my case; or atleast is not what I want at all for my users. Rather I really really want to use understandable characters, with letters and numbers

4 Likes

So the names have to be readable?

Something like words from a dictionary or something?

3 Likes

Its not words, just unique characters with a base word. An example of a possible generated result:

TestGf3Sz
Test0fxS1
TestlJHta
TestMNtAz

with “Test” being the base word. This tool is mostly used in rigging, where you need a unique name for every part to animate said rig

3 Likes

Ye I thought I had an idea where u put the character first, then number, then character, etc.

But then I realized…

TestF4U5…

3 Likes

Yea no thanks lol. Numbers can act like certain letters/Words too.

3 Likes

Also what’s wrong with not using numbers only?

3 Likes

Its a choice on the menu. You pick your randomness and how long you want it to be. Sometimes Numbers isn’t enough in my case as I have to generate more then the filtered amount (assuming a filter exists)

But also this creates issues with Base words, and thats important to me atleast bc if developers use it properly Can allow users to organize. But I would assume that I would have to filter that too?

2 Likes

You can like generate how many numbers u wanna generate.

Cuz words cannot be filtered in studio, afaik

3 Likes

Edit in the above post as I was typing:

2 Likes

Also not to mention that this isn’t the only tool that I will need to make with a filter, as I will need to filter results with other tools as well that use any sort of User input or randomness that can be made public viewing

2 Likes

In this topic I sent you, someone also said that you don’t need to filter text.

I don’t know if that’s true though.

2 Likes

Someone else in that post also posted this image too as well which can be taken both ways, but I’m leaning that I have to somehow

2 Likes

Idk why Roblox doesn’t let us filter text in Studio

2 Likes

Me either. I guess I can submit this as a feature request? Or a ‘Bug report’ as you can’t comply with roblox terms?

2 Likes