FPS drops from unknown source

I’m having a lot of FPS drops over time from what looks like a memory leak, however the only thing that shows this in the microprofiler is something called “VisibleQuery” which just starts increasing over time.

Does anyone know what this actually is? Or if its related to the lag at all? I think its something to do with shadows but if thats the case it would be a memory leak in roblox’s own renderer no?

Further more this only really appears in large public servers and won’t even show “VisibleQuery” in studio at all. Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Assuming it is an issue with a script, go to the developer console in a test, dropdown the options, and then press scripts. It will show the activity percentage being used by each script. The scripts that use the most percentage are the ones causing lag.

If it is not a script it may be a virus or a high amount of assets used in workspace.

3 Likes

I’ve already checked the activity before and its unrelated. I’ve even attempted to completely delete all client scripts that would be running code while its lagging, and it not only doesn’t improve performance, but the memory leak still appears to be happening.

It’s also not able to be replicated in studio, and even when finding the exact location of the “VisibleQuery” in the profiler inside of studio, the actual querys just arent there. Its just normal shadow calculations.

1 Like

Have you used ClientProfiler instead?
It shows which threads are causing the issues.

1 Like

Script Profiler or? Because not much there either, just normal script stuff.

1 Like

My bad, it’s actually call “ScriptProfiler”
It records and tells you which thread are using the most if you toggle to % option

09534e87567108f140ee30d04897c0fb

2 Likes

Afterward, you just have to hover your mouse and it shows you which script is doing it with the file’s path name too.
It also shows the precise line of code with the number

3 Likes

I’ve found a few core scripts that look like they’re consuming a bit too much but thats about it.

microb1

microb2

1 Like

Then it may be assets related instead, I can not find anything about “VisibleQuery” sadly :disappointed_relieved:

Same! It’s located under shadows and only appears in the microprofiler or Script profiler as part of the core scripts/rendering, so I’m assuming its a roblox bug maybe? Also studio has perfect FPS and is completely uneffected by this. No clue!

Does your game create models/anything for players as there are more players?
You mentioned it only occurred in large public servers

Also, is this only on CPU or GPU for FPS drop?

The game can create models for attacks for visuals, but they’re automatically cleaned up. Further more theres dummies in my studio that use attacks as well to simulate an actual server, and they don’t replicate the same weird fps bugs.

No clue if its CPU or GPU, I’m guessing GPU? But Roblox just kinda eats both of them like a late night dinner so its hard to tell.

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t really tell what’s going on with Roblox on that regard rn as I’m stuck on some weird physics bug myself :skull:

But perhaps it’s something created for Player or specific models have quite bad performance issue if it’s copy & paste onto lots of players?
It isn’t just attacks on visuals only created when Players are playing.
Sorry if I can’t help much further though :disappointed_relieved:

It may help on having CastShadow to be false on any part/mesh to be clone onto players, and having too much complex materials or meshes (which can be created onto player like armour/cosmetics) can clog up render FPS.

1 Like

Thought I had fixed it for a split second then my fps went back down to ~50, this is so sad.

It really might just be a memory leak in Roblox’s core scripts, which really stinks because there’s not much I can do about it.

1 Like

Still having this issue, but noticed that in a singleplayer server on the same game, the “Game Settings” percent looks completely normal again. And only has memory leak-y issues in public servers.

Singleplayer;
microb3

Mutliplayer;
microb2

EDIT;

Memory leak much? This is Roblox’s own systems that are having trouble and I can’t really make a bug report so I’ll just keep looking around for potential solutions I guess?

Update; This is infuriating now, I’ve removed every single script that’s running on the client that isn’t a Core Roblox script and this bug still occurs.

Furthermore its only caused by having your camera pointed at large groups of humanoids??

If you stay in a game for like, 10 minutes, then look at a group of around ~10+ players the micro profiler turns into a BRICK and your fps hits 25. Looking up or anywhere else instantly resolves this. I even tried directly deleting the humanoids causing it but it leaves behind a sorta phantom lag for around 15 seconds before getting any better.

And the only thing to show for this in the script profiler is a Roblox Core Script called “Scheduler” which appears to just form a memory leak and over time recursively run the same function.

Link to the game if you wanna see this for yourself, although it does take a bit for this bug to appear visibly in your fps. Only really works with large groups of players.

Hello there,
First off all I apologize for the large bump.
I am having the exact same issue on a game I am working on. Everytime I playtest with 30 players, the fps go down from 60 to about 20 or less after 10 minutes of playtime (and only when looking at the characters).

However, I think the issue might be related on IkControlls OR creating and destroying models inside a character of a player (because my game does that)
Please let me know if you resolved the issue, because this issue makes it impossible for the game to leave it’s pre alpha phase.
Thank you