Frequent Script Editor Crashes

As of the most recent studio update (0.452.2.413165), studio has been crashing randomly when editing scripts. I am using an empty place and I have tried disabling all my plugins. Seems to happen every time I try typing in the first argument to CollectionService:GetInstanceAddedSignal().

I’m certain it’s something with the AutoComplete menu because it freezes but I can still interact with studio.

Repro is attached.
Complete the GetInstanceAddedSignal call.

Crash_Repro.rbxl (37.8 KB)

7 Likes

Can confirm, followed the same steps. As I type it out studio just crashes, I can’t interact with anything though. Here are my bug files for that crash: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/t/833985?u=incapaz

I am experiencing this same problem in a similar way. There is a particular script that either:

1. crashes studio when I open it, or
  2. crashes studio when I edit it.

Right now it seems like it’s just crashing as soon as the script gets opened, however roughly 30 minutes ago it was only crashing when the script got edited.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same thing, but with play testing
after i get done play testing and i press stop, it CRASHES STUDIO, i’ve lost over 4+ hours of work!

This isn’t just with the script editor. Starting today, studio have been crashing from the script editor and the terrain editor. Other than that studio has been fine.

I turned off the problematic flags that was causing this. @Cuyler, @sjr04, @anon8016540, and @FxllenCode, can you confirm that your Studio no longer crashes?

1 Like

Will check momentarily and update this post, thanks for the swift response.

Edit: Appears to be all good, thank you so much @Apakovtac!

@Apakovtac I’m still experiencing the crash with the repro place I provided. I made sure to completely restart studio.

Strange. It’s working great for me without any issues. Grab the logs and send them over I guess.

Got it. Do you have the new script analysis beta enabled as well? If so, you can add --!nocheck to this file (should be first line) or disable the beta feature while I work on a fix for this.

5 Likes

Yep, I do have the new script analysis beta enabled. Adding --!nocheck seems to have stopped the crash. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I still experience crashing.

(don’t mind the picture at the bottom right, I accidentally took a screenshot of only the message instead of the editor + message, that is the preview)

They have stated they are working on a fix. For the time being turning off the script analysis beta or adding --!nocheck to the top of the script should stop the crashing.

Ah I see, must have accidentally skipped over something while reading.

Something like this just happened to me three times in a row, and I had to restart my whole computer with a forced shutdown every single time. It got progressively slower in a matter of seconds freezing my machine completely.

No bueno.

EDIT: I can’t make a new post, because the ranking system is locked and I’m unable to get Regular.

1 Like

This is marked as solved, see above.

If disabling the beta doesn’t resolve your issue, please file a new bug report with all the required information.