Future Is Bright: Phase 1 - Studio beta

I don’t know if Lighting.Voxel will remain an option literally forever, but I’d expect it to be available for the next 5 years, give or take:

1. We want to give developers an option to have the game that looks the same everywhere
  2. We need to keep Voxel mode around for low end devices - and they aren’t going away any time soon
14 Likes

Will we ever see more indepth / complicated video options? Something like Half Life 2’s settings menu would be perfect in my opinion.

I think it could solve the issue of people not being able to play with the new lighting engine, by allowing them to manually tweak settings like texture detail & mesh detail. And also turn off Anti Aliasing all together instead of it being forced and having to manually turn it off in Radeon Settings.

5 Likes

This is completely outside of the scope of this project. Adding graphics options unfortunately won’t change the fact that phases 2 and 3 just won’t work on a lot of hardware no matter how much you reduce detail.

4 Likes

That’s actually quite unfortunate. I was hoping that allowing players to reduce other video settings could potentially allow them to run the new lighting.

I guess the main question now is, will dark areas still appear dark to players on lower quality settings?

3 Likes

We’re trying to make sure that this is the case as often as possible - which is why we had to do some work on the voxel engine. Of course, developers will always have an option to use Voxel mode to make sure that gameplay is consistent for all users if this is critical.

4 Likes

https://gyazo.com/ec5d377028d951b754d0a9b2099782ee.gif so uh this happens
And this https://gyazo.com/33f73d91f7ad83b1ea3a569e43fb197a.gif

I don’t know what this is.

I move it 1 stud and it changes to this.

4 Likes

This looks like a bug with SurfaceLights; it’s known (see the original post) and we’re working on it.

2 Likes

Rest in peace using black neon as blur. Need to scrap this entire scene and make a new one :frowning: My BillboardGui are so dim as well oof

RobloxScreenShot20181003_205747010

RobloxScreenShot20181003_205753354

13 Likes

SurfaceGui being dim is a bug, please see the list of known issues at the end of OP.

3 Likes

I agree with Seenit, the increased bloom is a big downside to this new system as seen here.

Legacy:

Voxel:

Glow: glow.rbxm (1.2 KB)

14 Likes

Holy cow!
My terrain game looks so much better. Lighting updates seem to happen much smoother than before.

Before

After

14 Likes

What about a blur material?

20 Likes

Now, the future is

Also this is AMAZING, keep up the great work :+1:

5 Likes

This looks so much better. Well worth the wait.

1 Like

My future was pretty dark until now :sunny: I can’t wait to use this in my showcases and builds :smiley:

2 Likes

I love this! And thank you for adding the over-saturation thing to the fix-list @zeuxcg!

3 Likes

Besides the over saturation, this already looks so good alone.

New lighting on the left of both of these.

I agree with what’s been said, terrain feels a million times better, especially in dark areas.

37 Likes

Are you planning to raise the voxel resolution for higher graphics settings?

3 Likes

What’s with the “(Mobile…)”

1 Like

Love the changes, and honestly can’t sit still for phase 2 and 3. Time to build some cool stuff!

10 Likes