Future Lighting neon flashes when sitting idle within studio

As of yesterday, lighting one of a friend and I’s games was fine. Today we opened up studio about 15 minutes ago and noticed awful flashing once the build loaded in.

We’re using the future lighting technology.
My friend (@Billy_Dodo) sent this to me at 5:51 EST:

I opened up the game and noticed a similar effect. Here’s my view:

We’ve pushed the game to a new place on future lighting and the issue still persists. The place does not appear to be team create enabled. (Original place: https://www.roblox.com/games/5167653805/atlas-tc-3)

As for reproduction, we both only opened up studio to do some work and noticed this happening.

We’re both running Windows 10.
My specific specs are:
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47GHz, 3468 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical
GPU NVIDIA GTX 1060 Super 6gb
Memory 24gb, DDR3, 1333MHz

Hopefully this helps.

4 Likes

First of all I want to say that this build is AMAZING (I am a HUGE fan of Sci-Fi)!!

Second, I may just be speculating, but did you use mainly SurfaceLights for this build? I seem to remember having this same issue on one of my builds as well, which at the time included (I believe) mainly SurfaceLights.

Thanks. Credit where credit is do to @M_dal for making it.

The lighting on the ceiling lights are Surface lights, though its happening all over the build. It’s safe to say that there’s an equal amount of Surface, Point and Spotlights all around the build.

Interestingly some of the bricks are neon overlaid with decals. I wonder if this might be to blame for some issues too.

2 Likes

It seems to me that this is the issue. If I were in your position, I would make a copy of that build on a local file and remove all of the decals. The issue may be that the lights aren’t (at times) able to shine through the decals, resulting in those flashes.

Lots of invisible bricks with surface lights!

You have a surface light brick facing the neon brick to give it glow around its adjacent surface. But then another surface light brick, with the light facing outwards, to illuminate the surroundings. Surface lights used over point lights so that the light source reflection in the bricks, matches the same shape of the neon brick.

2 Likes

What a neat trick! I will have to remember that one…

It seems to me that the issue is being caused due to either the large amount of SurfaceLights or the decals on the neon parts. If I were you, I would create a copy of this build and switch all of the SurfaceLights over to SpotLights and see what happens.

1 Like

The same thing is happening for me on my own game, takes away from the feel and environment the project is supposed to have.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

@MisterRedTurtle Did some further troubleshooting and noticed that certain sets of light sources were producing the weird flashing lights.

https://gyazo.com/13ba0c2759eaab8950ccc3ce593d1c6e

In this gif, I had selected a group of light sources that was causing a portion of the light flashing issues. I noticed that turning off the shadow property of these sources solved the light flashing.

I guess that somehow, for these light sources, there are issues with producing the shadows? For this specific group of light sources, this has been an easy fix without effecting the original intended lighting effect. However, there will likely be light sources for which turning off shadows would not be ideal for the aesthetic of the build. It’s also gonna be a bit tedious to go through all the light sources and locate those which are causing the flashing.

2 Likes

I just wanted to follow up and confirm that this issue is still occurring, so I hope it’s not been marked as complete. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello! Does this issue still occur for you anymore?

Surface lights aren’t the best for future, really funky, I recommend point and spotlights

Sorry for the delay in response, all of us that worked on the project will be checking on our devices to see who still has this issue. (Billy_dodo, Conmmander and me).

1 Like

Hi all!
Would you kindly let us know if this issue still happens for you? We would close this issue if it is not an issue anymore.