Game being shut down by exploiters

Not if they didnt even really notice.

Yes you are correct because they do it before there character is even created and before they are basically loaded in the game so you really can’t do anything about this.

I believe @BraxbroRoblox has a good fix.
If you can make it so some players manage to get into the start place you create and pass through to the game while the exploiters crash the start place, you might manage getting servers full of actual players.

If they notice your patch, perhaps try getting information on the accounts, I’m unsure if accounts still have an “age” and it is not desired by roblox, but you could try filtering out new accounts. Or as stated above, filter new accounts to a server of only new accounts.

EDIT:
Try one player start places and filter through names and ages, etc.

3 Likes

There is no known way to check for this exploit or even prevent it at all. Banning the account responsible for doing so will indeed remove them from your game, but not before the damage is already done and your server is already destroyed.

This is an extremely powerful exploit that bypasses all server scripts and executes before they even have a chance to load. We’ll have to sit through this one

Yep. We don’t have a means to deploy a true fix, but we can definitely do damage control.

Yes, but one player start places to do the ban check either mean they let the ban check go through and get kicked, or they crash the ban check server and no one else gets kicked. As I’ve said multiple times.

We can’t stop them from crashing a server, so we have to move the goalpost and try to get them to crash servers we WANT them to crash.

This basically works because before network ownership or any of the stuff that keeps what the client does from replicating to the rest of the server so basically network ownership doesn’t exist when this is executed, but that might no be it, it might just be a weird bug or something.

If the exploit is creating player instances rapidly without naming them, couldn’t you just remove anyone with “Player” as their name. Or is there more than just spamming instances.

Side question, does your game support VIP servers? You may want to incentivize players to purchase a very cheap VIP server and possible reward in doing so. May give you some funds during this issue while securing players.

1 Like

No because the script is executed before serverscripts and stuff like that aren’t running or created yet, so that won’t work.

1 Like

That is definitely a smart way to circumvent the crashing of your main servers and might stop most of the less experienced exploiters, but the issue is if someone is determined to take down your servers and have a virtually impenetrable method they will stop at nothing to do so.

In the meantime, yes teleporting players from a temporary place to your main place looks like the only way to mitigate the effects this script causes. However, banning or restricting age on your main game simply will not work as by the time the player is kicked the damage is already done and the server is already frozen.

So if that’s the case, this is basically all up to Roblox to patch?

2 Likes

There is no developer patch to this issue because it requires a fix on Roblox’s end due to how they handle player creation. You may want to turn the game to group only and notify your players of the issue going around until it is solved.

I’ve observed that most servers seem to run for a bit before crashing, so it seems some of the exploiters might be kicked by an age check. I’m just concerned for how long this could go on, but it seems like the exploit described is the reason and it isn’t one of our remotes.

Even with the dire situation at hand, I have to say that this thread has met it’s solution as I was asking how to log remotes. Maybe we should leave it here.

2 Likes

The exploiter still needs to manually join your game so servers are bound to stay up for a little bit, but by the time they start joining your server its already too late for your server scripts to act and kick the player and the server instantly freezes and crashes.

I don’t believe its a game specific issue and you don’t need to look into your game’s scripts, we’ll just have to sit through and wait for Roblox to fix this. My game Club Iris has been victim of numerous crashes throughout today and yesterday and it’s getting pretty tedious watching your player base get cut from 1000 to 0 every 5 minutes…

1 Like

Someone should make a thread in #platform-feedback

Someone already did, however I think it was removed
reference

1 Like

I believe it was removed for publicly including exploit repro steps which is understandable. However, Roblox staff replied to that post and it would be nice to be able to read it to see any updates or progress in resolving the situation as now we have no idea.

Perhaps another post will spring up addressing this and everything will go back to normal.

RemoteFunction.OnServerInvoke is write-only.

Ah, i see. Then you would need to directly manipulate the function you use there, but for remoteevents, it should work without an issue. Thanks for the heads-up