Game Flickering and Graphical Issues

Hello,

We’ve been working to debug a persistent flickering or graphical issue affecting some of our players in Journeybound. Through testing on a live private server, we’ve been able to frequently reproduce the issue in a specific part of the map. Please see the details below.

The recording was made on an iPhone 11; most PC users do not experience this issue as often.

Streaming settings:

Changing the StreamingIntegrityMode other than “Disabled” still results in the same issue, with the additional problem of the Gameplay Paused message appearing intermittently.

Memory Usage:

The cart in the game is controlled by the movement direction of the humanoid character, with the player owning network ownership of the entire cart assembly. When the flickering starts, both the character and the cart disappear, causing the player to lose ownership and, consequently, the ability to move the cart.

While resetting temporarily resolves the issue, it results in a loss of progress, making it an impractical solution.

We are uncertain whether this is a memory issue or a streaming issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2 Likes

This is mostly a streaming issue and they are especially common on moving platforms and treadmills. I don’t know much else than that.

Do I have to move this to engine bugs?

1 Like

Regarding the information we see here, I doubt this is belonging in an engine bug specifically. Maybe you should try looking up everything that has anything to do with StreamingEnabled, especially with moving platforms?

1 Like

After further testing and disabling the moving platforms, this is still occurring. I don’t actually think it was the moving platform since all of the movements and physics that act upon the platform are client-side calculations.

If you noticed in the first video when the flicker happened my other team (on mobile) was not moving with the platform because all the assembly velocities of the platform are calculated on the client and when the player lost its ownership since the server decided to “remove” it then all those forces cannot be applied on the cart.

Edit:
note that these platforms are stationary on the server side.

I found a similar topic.

It’s quite similar yes, although their character only disappears. On our end, the lighting also looks like it’s refreshing. Its like removing the object and the next frame it detects that it has to exists since it is near but removes it again… i don’t know anymore…

I actually think the character gets “teleported” between two spaces or something else. I do not have the ability to diagnose this, but does the character actually disappear fully on the client view or does it just “move”? If it disappears, maybe it’s something about the model’s boundary box stretching far out because of an extra part loose?

I was looking at this frame specifically, and every other instance after that. Also it appears you have zone-based music playback, I reckon.

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 01.12.15

No lose parts whatsoever. The process is they get teleported to a spawn position and a cart is created for them from the server and the server make them sit in the cart and set networkownership and such. No manipulation on the cart or the characters parts.

Yep its just the ZonePlus library.

I have finally squashed the bug! It was the cart control system!!! joysticks on mobile giving float values breaking the calculations of the cart movement triggering the flicker we adjusted the calculations on the cart movement and its now good.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.