Game has high ping

Pretty simple issue. My game has high ping and it does not seem to be on my end solely as other games run fine except my own.

What can I do to find out what I need to fix to reduce the ping? Also whats considered a high script activity %?

5 Likes

Also for some reason it runs completely fine in studio with no lag. Idk whats causing it.

High ping is mostly caused by memory leaks.
RunService connections, loop functions, or not caching data and reusing data services.
You could also optimize scripts from the server-side to the client side; reduce rendering and base your physics on the client side with Network Ownership.

Other than that, take a look at this post for more optimisation choices:

2 Likes

I really dont see any of these affecting my game too bad.

I have one script that has 10% script activity though. Is that bad? Should I try to change that?

Also weirdly enough sometimes the server only has 60 - 80 ping then other times its 300 to 700. And it runs fine in studio so I have no clue why its doing this. Its 100% not on my end.

1 Like

Quick Question, Any script causes this like a action you do that then causes lag?

2 Likes

Nope. Just joining the server. Which is extremely odd since sometimes the ping is completely fine then other times its just at a constant 400 - 700

2 Likes

This either sounds like a memory leak or a backdoor.
I’d check your scripts for any loadstrings or require() functions.

2 Likes

Best method to doing this is first testing in studio and see if there’s a issue but if not follow the guide given by @Umamidayo

1 Like

a memory leak that instantly happens when I join though? Dont memory leaks usually happen over time?
Also I doubt I have any backdoors but if theres a way to check I wouldn’t mind doing it.

@austingamer12345 I stated this before. The ping is 100% fine in studio

If you are working with assets from the toolbox or with team create,
I’d recommend hitting Ctrl + Shift + F and searching for these terms:

• loadstring
  • setfenv
  • getfenv
  • require

At least then, you’ll know if it is a backdoor. If not, then that is one less thing to worry about.
Then we can determine if it is a memory leak or not.

2 Likes

now that I think about it there is ONE thing that could possibly have a backdoor in it. I will have to look through it as its one of the few things I didnt make and has a lot of requires.

1 Like

I think its clean. Just to be sure I will try removing it and see if performance improves at all.

Ok so there is no backdoors. I tried removing the only possible thing that could have backdoors and the ping issue still occured. Is there anything else I can do to try and find out whats causing it?

Now that you’ve confirmed that there is no backdoor, you can start using data trends to see changes and follow what is causing spikes.

There’s several key things to look for:

Server Log Spam

Script Activity

Client Memory Usage

Typically, it is easiest to find what is causing network lag by seeing what is being sent in the server logs. It will tell you the script name and directory, so you’ll find it easily.

Script Activity will vary from game to game, but it is common to focus on the scripts that cause the most activity. This could be 1-100%, but the main thing to look out for is what is consistently getting high activity. That would tell you what script is causing high ping.

Client memory usage will tell you if it is a system issue; your PC. It will also tell you if your game is rendering too much, but since this is a high ping issue, I don’t think this would be important to look out for.

This is all of the tools that I can share for troubleshooting network latency. I’m sure there are more resources, but the main thing that causes high ping is bad connection or memory leaks. Memory leaks would come from scripting itself, so you’d have to check your own code over, because nobody knows your code better than you. If you have someone scripting for you, I’d recommend having them look over their scripts and check for anything that could be firing functions more than once.

6 Likes

for some reason im getting all these errors too
I thought it was related to roblox adding layered clothing soon since before voice chat was added I got something similar in my F9 but maybe not because my friend doesnt have this in his F9 on his game.

This output is actually in every game, at the moment. This is a bug on Roblox themselves, so I would ignore that.

2 Likes

Oh ok so my theory was right. Thanks for confirming

2 Likes

also what is considered high script activity? At what constant % should I start worrying about it tampering with performance?

5 Likes