Game Update Question

Hello.
I’m gonna start off with saying that the current project I have I am very proud about and I would love to update it regularely when it’s published.

Now my question is, If I make changes and updates in studio, and publish them to roblox, does that automatically shut down the servers? Or does it update when the server is empty?

I’m trying to understand how this works so I can effectively update it instead of being annoying to players.

ty in advance

1 Like

I think that it’s when a server gets empty. Or it could also be that the leave/reconnect GUI opens up. In any cases, I always go to the game page at roblox.com and click “•••” then click “Shut down all servers” just in case

But wouldn’t that be kind of frustrating to players when their server gets shut down mid-gameplay?

Well, maybe, but if that’s the default roblox reaction, then you can’t really do much either

You can search “soft shout down 2” to not lose the players.

Is that even a thing? I’ve never seen it

Soft Shout down
Here is the Devforum Post
But it’s a script made by a scripter

You need to use a soft shutdown system. A soft shutdown is a system which uses teleport service to teleport players to a reserved servers when the one they were playing on gets shut down (use game:BindToClose(). When teleporting players if they have match data you can save it or if you don’t want to use DataStores you can pass it in the teleport and then pass it again when teleporting back.
After x seconds you can teleport them back and set the match data

Yeah, ok, fare enough, it’s probably your best bet @Mercyvr

damn thanks! it looks very good!

It doesn’t shut down servers and the game only updates in new servers. You can forcibly shut down servers by going to the experience page and clicking shut down all servers but you can also shut down individual servers by clicking on the 3 dots near the server on the right hand side, private server owners can also do this to update their server.

I recommend only shutting down servers when it’s a big update as, especially if your game involves AFKing for long amounts of time including overnight, then players will probably be angry and quit the game. Also I’d recommend shutting down servers if there’s a game-breaking bug fix.

Furthermore, if you make any changes to the name or whether the game is public or not, it will automatically shut down all running servers and this also applies if you’re editing some settings in the game settings in Roblox studio.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like