Gamepad Virtual Cursor for UI is Live! [Opt-in Only]

Nice feature, I hope to see this implemented in games properly in the future. Great job!

18 Likes

Can you show how the 3D UI works in the first video?

This link doesn’t work.

4 Likes

This is a very cool feature, I personally will use this for most of my games that support gamepads!

9 Likes

I have to admit these kind of updates always get me a bit concerned. It’s never good to give developers breathing room to provide sub-standard experiences like this, and allowing these kind of experiences can only detriment players’ views of the platform.

8 Likes

I’ve been wanting this for so long, you don’t know how many times I’ve accidently purchased something by struggling to use UI with a Xbox controller.

5 Likes

Updated the link. Should be: Gamepad Virtual Cursor - Studio Beta

7 Likes

I don’t understand, could you explain more? I think it’s really good as xbox ui controls have always been clunky.

6 Likes

I know right! I don’t get anything wrong with this. They also mentioned that if you already have custom xbox controls, you could just turn it off with a script lol.

3 Likes

Loving this feature already, this is so much more helpful as if I was to make a xbox compatible UI I would have to change so much of my UI for a single platform

Can’t wait to give this a try!

5 Likes

There are some major games such as Destiny that use a similar system. I wouldn’t view this as sub-standard, just “different”. The traditional highlight method and the virtual cursor are both valid design choices.

7 Likes

REMINDER - if you turn this on in your game, share the link here so we can all check it out!

11 Likes

Wasn’t enabled when I tested your test place.

5 Likes

This is better than pressing a button! Great job roblox.

6 Likes

https://www.roblox.com/games/5422898602/Kool-Killer

5 Likes

Will it be automatically enabled in the new baseplate?

1 Like

That was my friend’s place, sorry.

2 Likes

It would be nice if there was some customization for it to fit the style of the game, for example, a more golden and detailed cursor for a fantasy/medieval type game. I think there’s a lot of potential with game interfaces especially if we’re given more control and customization with the existing UI we have to work around.

6 Likes

This has been my issue with all of the new updates that can potentially break games so far. For now, it’s fine. However, if you plan to change the default to enabled, the default option should not exist, or should not be changed. It’s fine to have it enabled for new places, but existing places should always have to opt-in, especially with an update not required. Forcing updates that are not required is dumb and should not be a thing.

4 Likes

Is there a reason why the security is set to NotScriptable instead of ReadOnly? I wanted to check the value of the property on the client so my game wouldn’t suddenly break in case this feature spontaneously got rolled back but I can’t do that :confused:

5 Likes

i agree. developers should be tasked with developing the system with the tools given and creating something that works that also actually is visually pleasing and nice

the same thing with the interaction things that were implemented a while back. i see them being used more often and i really feel like people should have to design their own ui and own scripts to make the ui work rather than leech off of a pre made system

basic pre made systems that are good are things like the chatbox like you dont want to have to script it yourself every time you make a game, and it is good you can change the look of it too, but these kinds of updatesjust make developers lazy in a sense

3 Likes