Gamepad Virtual Cursor for UI is Live! [Opt-in Only]

That’s not how it works. It’s just like “Yeah!!! Everything should get deleted, pcs explode. Now if you want to be a developer first build a computer, make an OS, and then write software.” It is given to us. What if Roblox deleted stuff like the .Name property? well, They can delete it and say “Well, people won’t understand Binary and stuff if we don’t delete it”

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I didn’t make myself clear enough. In the early 2000’s there were several businesses working on PDA devices where the cursor had to be moved by dragging a finger across the screen. My point is that these devices didn’t succeed because their input method was unnatural, just like a cursor is on a console.

As for the “much better”, I was referring to how Destiny makes the UI move around the mouse, in a parallax effect. If you were to remove this from Destiny, it would make it seem like a poor PC port.

Now, I want to make my point clear. I think it’s great that the Roblox team is trying to make it easier to make games more enjoyable for console players, I just disagree that this is the way to achieve it. I understand this feature took a lot of work and I do not want to diminish the effort that went towards accomplishing it.

My concern is purely centred around the fact that I personally believe that implementing a good UI layout and a UX befitting a console isn’t just “awesome”, but it should be a practical requirement to have a game on console. Without taking the time and dedication necessary to ensure a game is properly compatible with consoles, we’re decreasing the overall quality of the games available on that platform.

2 Likes

This is epic! As a 1/3 Xbox player (I play on all devices hehe) this is so much better than pressing the select button and being confused as to why you cant move. Thanks, Roblox! :]

1 Like

Haha I know right! When I rarely play on xbox, or plug my controller in, I accidently select something and can’t move and it’s so annoying! Now we have a custom cursor we can move around, and select things with noticing. Awesome!

1 Like

So this can be currently tested on xbox?

Yeah that, and also if you have an xbox controller, and plug it into your PC. I’m pretty sure.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

1 Like

That is correct, can also be tested in Studio.

2 Likes

This is something I’m very much interested in enabling for my games, however, I don’t think I’ll be able to until the following get fixed as the game relies on these to function.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on updates for this, looking forward to being able to enable it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hiya, lemme just make an example of a game which uses a virtual cursor and executes it very well.

Not sure if you have heard of it but it is called Dead By Daylight, it is available on all consoles and PC. It makes use of a virtual cursor in the menus rather than in a match.

TW: Slight blood on clothing (no visible injuries)

Game Image

OptimalSolidInchworm-size_restricted

In the gif have provided, it shows the menu being used on PC. This is called a blood web, it would be very hard to navigate it using traditional controls which is why on the console edition of the game it uses a virtual cursor which works very well in my opinion. (Yes, I do play this game on console and PC frequently)

Just to add on to @Rototally’s point, it all depends on your game and yes you could completely change the UI but that may take away from the experience and may give the game less of a original feel to it. Having a virtual cursor for those who play on console will give them a similar experience to those who play on PC or maybe mobile to a certain extent.

Another point would be the experience’s style as a whole, I would like to refer to the Dead By Daylight example again. Dead By Daylight is a horror themed game, the design of Blood Web conveys that with how it is made with it based around “The Entity” which is where the very intricate design behind the perks, items and add-ons comes from adding to the experience and feel of the game. Now, if you were to change that UI to a design which allows a controller to freely move between the perks add-ons etc without a virtual cursor, your experience would be changed heavily now I won’t get into too much detail on why it would change as you would need to understand certain mechanics of the game. But, in conclusion it all depends on what works best for that developer and their experience.

Sorry if it is a bit too wordy, if you don’t understand smth feel free to ask.

1 Like

Very cool update, when I’ve used a Xbox controller in certain games before I found it somewhat difficult to move around the games UI.

1 Like

I hope so. The current one is so hard to use, and almost every game I play I use my xbox for (potato pc). I think players should also have a setting in the main settings menu, kind of like how pc players have the options for shift lock etc…

Why not use the right stick? Using the right stick would be SO much more user friendly.

Personally, I love this update. It is amazing, and its great to see xbox getting some support and love.

Navigating game menus with an Xbox controller has always been a nightmare. Extremely happy that we finally have a solid solution to this issue!

every game I see with dev console (f9) says this

We have enabled it on almost all our games:

And we have few people complaing about unable to scroll down, so I started to investigate it.

I assume they do something like this:

When the correct way is this:

So my conclusion is that A and C don’t work and B always works, you basically need to be almost with the cursor in the middle of the scroll bar in order to use it. Of course as game creator you can easily solve it by making the scroll bar thicker to like 20-25. But still shouldn’t it be better to detect it with A and B too?

(A, B and C)

I also noticed that when hovering over a scroll bar the mouse doesn’t get highlighted only on buttons, maybe players don’t relealise that have selected it because it doesn’t highlight (with the mouse button highlight like in the picture) maybe highlighting would make it easier to for players to use scroll bars too on console when using the mouse.
(Everything shown is tested on computer with a controller connected, since I do not own an Xbox)

This was tested on Tix Factory Tycoon
And other games we also enabled it on are:

2 Likes

I have it enabled on my game Dogecoin Mining Tycoon.

One issue I’ve experienced so far is not being able to move the cursor all the way into the edges of the screen, which, given the large cursor size, can potentially make certain UI elements unreachable.

In addition, the poor ScrollingFrame support makes enabling the Virtual Cursor unfeasible in pretty much any large-scale game - I had to implement my own custom DPad scrolling as a temporary solution, which significantly limits the keybinds I’d otherwise be able to assign to the DPad.

Otherwise, the feature is great and it’s definitely a huge step in the right direction!

3 Likes

Is this property replicated to all clients? in other words, will developers be able to set this setting for specific players? I would like my players to have the option to pick if they would like to use the highlight method or the virtual cursor method.

I’m really liking this new update, since it will be much easier for console users to select Gui.

1 Like

I love this update I can’t wait to use it my games

1 Like

Sorry for brining this up but, can anybody explain to me how can I test it in studio?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.