Gamepad Virtual Cursor - Studio Beta

I made a system like this a while back, and I think we should be able to customize the icon, just like my system. It would allow the cursor fit in perfectly. I’m very excited to see this being officially supported!

5 Likes

this is very good for consoles! now you wont have to repeatedly tap the button to switch guis lol

3 Likes

@MrAsync Looks like they saw your CurserModule

5 Likes
-- Only use this if you do not want virtual cursor in your game!
local guiService = game:GetService("GuiService")
guiService.AutoSelectGuiEnabled = false

I just want to give a big THANK YOU for not making this feature mandatory.
I have a number of games that work ideally using the existing control method, and I didn’t want to have to reprogram them.

Wait a second … I just tested it in a game. This doesn’t actually give the original functionality back. It disables the new cursor thing, but is also disables the automatic gui selection when pressing the “view” button. There really should be a separate flag like guiService.UseGamepadVirtualCursor = false instead. AutoSelectGuiEnabled already has a meaningful purpose - please don’t tie it to something else.
Ok Roblox, please don’t force me to have to reprogram all of my games. PLEASE

12 Likes

Now THIS is very interesting. It Could be used for all devices, am I correct? This is definitely a step up for people like console players! Excellent job, Roblox!

2 Likes

I’d like the ability to change the little blue box that appears when you hover over something. Even just the ability to change the colors, or be able to disable it would be nice. Aside from that, this is a very good update and I’m sure the Xbox community will be ecstatic! You’re doing well in 2021 so far guys!

Happy days!

-coburm

Edit: When I say disable I mean disable as in removing the blue box as an option somewhere.

3 Likes

You can already do that by utilizing these:

4 Likes

This is pretty awesome! This fixes a lot of issues with console versions of games, and makes porting games to console MUCH easier.

2 Likes

Extremely good job! I have a question.
Can we change the size of the cursor, if we need it small or big?
Thank you. :smile:

1 Like

I gave this beta feature a test ride in our games - we have built multiple games that are Xbox Featured and therefore have manual implementation for a good Xbox experience. In my tests I did not notice any regressions, so this seems like it will be a great change.

Unable to scroll up or down in scrolling frames (we are considering the use of the d-pad for this, when a scrolling frame is highlighted)

My advice would be to use the right thumbstick as you currently do in the “old system”.

2 Likes

This is a great feature. Being a new Dev i was a little bit worried about implementing game pad controls myself, but this is definitely better. I can focus on game mechanics and other features.

1 Like

A question will this work for mobile and xbox. Other wise this a great advancement

1 Like

Awesome! I can’t believe this feature was added! It will make it a lot easier when I’m on controller!

1 Like

THANK YOU! It has been a struggle to play games such as Retail Tycoon 2 (which is in beta) with a gamepad but now you have fixed this issue. Will definitely help on games that I and other people have worked on.

1 Like

Yes, I use a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and it’s perfectly fine. If it doesn’t work, I believe people have made tutorials that uses Steam Controller Input to fix the issues.

1 Like

This will be so useful.
A few times I have considered making a game menu where the buttons and such are placed on billboards so you have a 3D menu in first person you can look around in or such but then figured that this would only work for PC users.
So this feature is literally a life saver and now I can finally make these kinds of menus.

Edit: before I just make the assumption, does this actually work with billboard GUIs too? I really hope so.

1 Like

Excellent! This will allow for better compatibility with console devices.

1 Like

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I used Xbox myself and it was a pain in some games having to constantly move my joycon around just to get my selector thing to a GUI. Glad there’s a fix for this.

2 Likes

Is this implemented on the Xbox itself yet?

3 Likes

Will the previous GUI selection system still be in place? It still is useful and fast if it works.

2 Likes