GetExtentsSize of One Part Without Model

My goal is to get the bounds of a part without putting it into a model and using Model:GetExtentsSize.

Here’s a photo example of what I want (using the blue box as the data retrieved from the part) image

I’d expect the script to give me the size of the blue box in order to find the highest X point of a part and the lowest X point of a part.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Is your part always going to be a rectangular part or an arbitrarily shaped part?

It will always be a rectangle.

You can use the code from this post: How does Roblox calculate the Bounding Boxes on Models/:GetExtentsSize()? - #8 by XAXA

This can be used for arbitrarily shaped models as well. It also works fine with a single part. You can simply call GetBoundingBox({part}) if you don’t want to edit the code.

3 Likes

Could you explain how to orient this so that it has no rotation but still contains the bounds of the part?

Edit: just learned to read, read the original post.

1 Like
cf, size = GetBoundingBox({game.Workspace.Part})
print(cf, size)
game.Workspace.Bounding.CFrame = cf
game.Workspace.Bounding.Size = size

5 Likes

Sorry for 4 year bump, but figured this might be helpful to someone.

The following code functions exactly the same as the solution in this thread but I cleaned it up to match the exact needs for just a singular Part (and I also replaced any deprecated functions).

This function does for a Part exactly what GetExtentsSize does for a Model (but with the added benefit of being able to specify the orientation of the bounding box).

-- Original function by XAXA, original optimized by Pyseph--
function GetPartExtentsSize(part: BasePart, orientation: CFrame?): (Vector3)

orientation = orientation or CFrame.identity
	local partCFrame: CFrame = part.CFrame

partCFrame = orientation:ToObjectSpace(partCFrame)

local size: Vector3 = part.Size
	local sx: number, sy: number, sz: number = size.X, size.Y, size.Z

local x: number, y: number, z: number,
	R00: number, R01: number, R02: number,
	R10: number, R11: number, R12: number,
	R20: number, R21: number, R22: number = partCFrame:GetComponents()

local wsx: number = 0.5 * (math.abs(R00) * sx + math.abs(R01) * sy + math.abs(R02) * sz)
	local wsy: number = 0.5 * (math.abs(R10) * sx + math.abs(R11) * sy + math.abs(R12) * sz)
	local wsz: number = 0.5 * (math.abs(R20) * sx + math.abs(R21) * sy + math.abs(R22) * sz)

return Vector3.new(x + wsx, y + wsy, z + wsz) - Vector3.new(x - wsx, y - wsy, z - wsz)

end
3 Likes