Good LUA Tutorial

Basically, I’m new to studio and I want to start working for games, but for that I need to learn programming with LUA. So, I wanted a good video tutorial that goes direct to the point, and that I can easily learn alot of programming with it. Also another methods could be good, like reccomending me books about programming. thx

I worked on programming for about 4 years and I would like to share my experience with you.
I used many languages like Lua, C#, C++, C, JavaScript, HTML and CSS. So we are using Lua in Roblox.

As you know you can watch tutorials. I can recommend GnomeCode, Ph4ntomize, AlvinBlox but you don’t need to focus on these channels.

Note: You can watch Lua basics tutorials for learning keywords like for, while, if but I don’t prefer this option. I prefer to learn keywords when using them.

To my experience the most important thing you must know is how to do research. You must know how to find what you want on internet.

1. To learn the programming basically I think you can rip off the tutorial scripts and without watching the tutorial try to figure out purposes of the text. So I mean used functions or services by purposes. Because this way, you probably not forget these.

2. Don’t give up. Even though I have 4 years of rookie experience, I don’t even have a game built. And you will live this too, but this is not because of you. Making a game completely alone is really hard, harder than you think.

3. Don’t try to make big projects. To make big projects, you need a lot of experience also not in only programming. Building, SFX, GFX, Scripting etc.

4. The point of success in programming is organizing. You must learn how to organize your code. Functions must do what they are called.

local function GetPlayerFromCharacter()

end

If functions are named as what they do, organizing will be easier for you.

5. I think this is important. I don’t know what to call but you can call error handling or finding errors, if you want to detect problems faster you should use print() and error() statements.

If you want to use these you should enable the output window. I also recommend the script analysis window because if there is a syntax error (typo) it will directly show you.

6. Stay Up-To-Date. Some functions and instance’s can be deprecated. So take a look at the Roblox Documentation here: Documentation

Also you can use the AI assistant here: AI Assistant

I can write a comment for the basic keywords if you want.

2 Likes

I actually forgot to add but you can watch the Studio Tutorial. It will be usefull.
Welcome to Roblox Studio | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Also learn the hotkeys like CTRL + 2 is used to move. So you will get faster.

1 Like

FizzBuzz: beginner scripting tutorial This is for absolute beginners.

1 Like

Thank you. I have been using the AI assistant tho, but sometimes it just gives me a wrong code and doesnt even tell me where to put it.

Yeah I have used it too. You just have to continue trying and tracking errors. In my long term adventure I see now that I want some errors to pop up so I can fix. You don’t have to be terrified of errors. Instead you must terrify for if it doesn’t work and there is no errors.

youtube tutorials dont teach you how to code just how to paste different pieces of code (only use docs if you actually want to learn), lua docs: Programming in Lua (first edition), roblox docs as someone else said, luau docs: Getting Started - Luau

But there is many differences between Roblox Engine and Lua. Thats why there is difference between type() and typeof()

Adding on to this, the Luau documentation he provided is a bit advanced. It was meant for people inexperienced with the programming language, but it assumes you have at least basic knowledge.

they luau documentation tells you to learn lua first though? (Luau uses the baseline syntax of Lua 5.1. For detailed documentation, please refer to the Lua manual.) so as long as they read the lua docs first they will be fine also advanced documentation would mean its good

• Get the basics through any YouTube tutorial;
  • Start practicing and creating your own projects without using help like ChatGPT, (You can surely look on Forums and Documentations, scripting isn’t about memorizing functionality of something)
  • Avoid using old/outdated scripts, create new ones. This will not only make you creative, it will also give you better knowledge on how to script in different ways.

youtube tutorials are for pasters, old or new scripts don’t matter since roblox is focusing too hard on backwards compatibility, scripting is completely about memorizing (forgetting something means projects get done slower)

nuh uh

youtube tutorials can help more visual learners understand how a piece code works and how it can be used. i couldn’t list on my fingers to amount of times ive learnt something game changing in a youtube video.

also scripting isnt about memorisation, its about problem solving, pattern recognition, and understanding the concepts behind scripting as a whole. ive been able to take concepts from luau and use them in learning other languages such as javascript and python.

even if you do forget something, it isnt the end of the world, as the wiki exists :man_shrugging:

1 Like