Grab These New Physical Dragger Features!

It doesn’t work with me, i don’t get the same results that @JoshSedai obtianed with that eegtopus

I tried this in 2 diferent models:
NOTE: The models are humanoids with all parts joined with a Motor6D

Video 1: https://streamable.com/bww3mf

Video 2: https://streamable.com/qszdkw

If this is not a bug, Is Physical intended for move humanoids (like when you use IK with animation editor)?

Motor6Ds are geometric joints, not physical ones (they force the joined parts to be at exactly the offset specified by an animation). You will have to find a rig with physical joints to use the physical dragger on them (HingeConstraints, BallSocketConstraints, etc).

I would note that there’s not much we could do to support existing rigs made with Motor6Ds either, because Motor6Ds give no information about what ways a rig’s joints can actually move (Eg. Knees should only bend in a specific way): At best we could only support rag-doll movement for them, which is probably not what you want.

4 Likes

In my opinion, I think this is gonna be useful for my future development!

Super helpful! I need tools like this because I am working on an obby and it’s hard digging around the workspace finding that one part I need to select.

With the normal draggers you can also hold down Alt while selecting to select individual parts rather than models.

2 Likes

Oh, okay. I didn’t know that. Still like the update, though.

1 Like

The fix is live, I have had it fixed for a while, but there were things out of my control that prevented me from releasing it.

Let me know if everything looks right!

3 Likes

Thanks for fixing the bug.

I can confirm that the bug has been fixed and everything looks right.

2 Likes

Hey there,
I had a doubt and wanted to know if the physical dragger feature would work if I moved the sea screature using a script when the game is running while play-testing?

This is cool, will definitely be useful, but… Would you mind sharing how do the excavator pistons work? :slight_smile: :smiley:
How do they rotate accordingly? My impression was prismatic and cylindrical constraints are supposed to only keep the position in line?

You need to combine multiple constraints. Basically, for every physical joint that would be there in the real thing you make a corresponding constraint: The piston’s plunger is connected together using a prismatic constraint, and then that whole assembly as attached to the arm using two hinge constraints at either end.

3 Likes

I don’t really use Physics for my modes, and for new people using this and/or started using physics, it might be hard for them as its super buggy with adding physics (unless I am doing something wrong, that might be true) but it will make some nice touch for builds like a giant octopus standing on a hill or something, might be a worth a try if you can make a model like this.

1 Like

Could you share more about what bugs you’re encountering? I believe we don’t have open bugs around the physical draggers right now, we’d like to fully deploy them soon, but we want to squish your bugs before doing so!

2 Likes

I think I might know what he means. When modifying a build it’s extremely helpful to have everything perfectly aligned. I once made the mistake of using the IK Dragger to pose a complex jointed model in a more natural way, but later I needed to fix some things in the model but now everything was horribly misaligned, randomly rotated, etc. In the end I had to dig through old backup copies to recover the original aligned model. “Undo” is insufficient for recovering state after other changes have been made. Now I always remind myself to make a “backup” duplicate of a perfectly aligned model and hide it “backstage” before ever touching the somewhat destructive IK dragger. But it would be nice there was an undo option more native to the IK dragger use case. Maybe the first time IK is used on a model, it could just save the “original orientation” information, then any time you need to revert to that, you can just select to “revert to original orientations”. I suppose a PlugIn could be made to store an orientation for a model in studio, but it would be nice if it was native, since IK dragging specifically will tend to scramble things.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.