Grass System by DylanD319

This is a Grass System I made. I wanted to try and make better looking grass then roblox’s decoration.

This is Open Sourced, and can be found here: https://www.roblox.com/games/6932038847/Grass-System-Open-Sourced

I’ve spent a long time trying to make a unique grass system in roblox. I like the decoration feature they have for the terrain but it is bland and basic, as well as not customizable at all outside of the basic color.

This system will have many bugs I’m sure, and people will probably find some obvious ways of bettering optimization. I am not a professional, but I think it came out alright.

If you have any questions, find any bugs or have something to suggest I’ll try to pay attention to the comments.

Post where I tried to make it better: Grass System: looking for advice on how to lower script activity

Grass System and models added made by DylanD319

31 Likes

The wind, the details, the grass system – They are all perfect as it is!

4 Likes

Now this is awesome!

Not trying to discourage you in anyway or form, this is kind-of useless if you were making a game.

Roblox themselves have their own grass system (which you can turn on in the properties).

Now I have a question, can the grass system like Roblox’s grass system cover all over the map and even if it does do that, is it also compatible with Roblox’s terrain system?

I asked that question because in the video you’ve provided wasn’t covering all over the map like Roblox’s grass system.

Grass

But again, amazing!

3 Likes

It isn’t optimized enough for full map coverage.

But it is fully compatible with any complexity of terrain formation.

It uses the material of the terrain to choose if it wants to be planted or not.
If it is set up to be Leafy Grass then the grass stem will delete itself if it doesn’t land on the Leafy Grass.

I tried VERY hard to get it to work with full map coverage but I couldn’t put in anymore time since I need to start working on other systems for the game this was made for.

1 Like

We had seen that you put a lot of effort in making it and you should be proud of it!

=
better than boblox 110% cool boi

2 Likes

How do we make a copy of the map so that we can edit it in studio because I do not see an “Edit” buttion

I changed it now so it can be copied.
Does it work now?

1 Like

I’d like to say Im quite impressed by your work and I apricciate you giving back to the comunity, something I figured out while messing arround with the foliage is that instead of covering the whole place with the grass you could posibly use flowers, wheet or things like that to cover some other small parts of the map for detail.

Anyways, this looks great good job

+1 cool point :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks!

Didn’t consider doing that, which looks really cool to. Will think about that definitely!

1 Like

How to change wind speed and how to make grass area bigger

Its a difficult thing to do. The faster it moves the more likely it is to glitch out and faze through the ground.

This is actually really great, I can imagine some modifications allowing for burning (fires burn the grass) and Weather sync (Custom weather systems that sync with things like waves and tagged particles)

Is it possible to add this asset to your own game?

This is certified epic, if I modify the code to work with my ’ ScreenVerticesService’, (which checks if points of a bounding box, are ‘visible’ on screen), it might (emphasis on might) be able to support full map coverage, what do you guys think :thinking:

But I love this, you did an amazing job, + open sourced it :+1:

My ScreenVerticesService:
https://www.roblox.com/library/9617508939/ScreenVerticesService

1 Like

I was never notified about this comment, so I never got around to it.
If I find the time this month I’ll look into it! But that’s an if.

I hope to return to this later next year and work on a long thought out theory I have had for the last 6 months. If all works out, it will not only allow for further map coverage, but also more grass blades to be generated at less of a cost. It’ll all depend on how well I can manipulate mesh deformation, and on how well roblox’s engine can handle it.

I am currently busy working on a game that I hope to publish before April next year, so I’m not giving a guarantee that I can return next year!

1 Like

I did something simular the thing that fixed it for me was making a queue of parts and updated cframes and using :BulkMoveTo rather than running CFrame.Angles = whatever the new angle is…
THis is because what was slowing things down was roblox making .Changed notifications each time i set a parts Cframe. :BulkMoveTo doesnt send these alerts… Thus saving loads of time.