Guide on developing a Game

Intro

Hi! I am Rose a Game Designer who game designed for games such as Pirates of the Dead Seas. Today, I will be showing you on how to game design and some tips I have for you guys :).

Game Concept

The first thing you would need to think of is what kind of game is it going to be? Is it going to be an adventure game? Is it going to be a FPS game? It is up to you to decide a genre of your game. For this example I will be sticking with adventure. Next you have to figure out what the theme of the game is going to be. It can be pirate, sci-fi, superhero, and much more. Usually, I will take a game that is not on Roblox and take inspiration from that game. Most Roblox games take inspiration from other games.

Some Games that took inspiration from another game

• badcc and asimo3089 ‘s Jailbreak (GTA)
  • MiniToon ‘s Piggy (Granny)
  • ROLVe‘s Arsenal (Counter Strike)
  • ArcadeRockstar ‘s Imposter (Among us)
  • My game (Sea of thieves)

Usually when game developers make games inspired off of a game, they tend to copy the whole game and make their game unoriginal. I would suggest to get some game mechanics out of your head and get some original game mechanics in your head.

Once you figure that out, you think of a style.

Some build styles
  • Low poly
  • Mid poly
  • Realstic
UI styles
  • Cartoony
  • Modern
  • Vintage

Styles shape the game and how it looks.

Organizing

This is one of the most important steps of Game Designing. You can organize your ideas in a google doc or slides. Usually I would make sections about what the specific developer has to do. This will help you write your recruitment post later in the tutorial.

Team

Either you are working as a solo dev or with more than 1 Developer, you got to make sure everybody or yourself is trustable.

Types of Teams

Solo Dev
Usually these developer work by themselves and no one else. Some solo developers include

• callmehbob
  • Cishshato
  • MiniToon

The Duo

Usually the duo consists of 2 developers which is programmer and a builder. One of duo developer include

• Badimo

Small Team
This consists of 3-4 people. They can be artist,builders, programmers, and much more. Some small teams are

• Schwifty Studios

Large Team

This consists of 5-10 people. I really don’t know any development teams that have that many people.

Company
This will consist of 20+ people. Some company type development teams are.

• Dreamcraft

Depending on how big your project is depends on how many developers you need.

Hiring

What I think most developers do wrong is hiring people when they are the first one to apply. This means the people you hire probably don’t have enough experience or will be lazy with work. When you select developers, have patience wait for talented and hardworking developers to apply and maybe look at some portfolios to find the right developers.

Development

Now this is the part where everyone starts developing. I highly suggest you use Twitter, Discord, or Reddit to advertise your game and bring in hype and a following. When you tweet something you gotta make it engaging and interesting as that will bring in followers and maybe being in a star YouTuber following you who knows.

Release

This is the time where you release the game. Make sure you have at least 5k robux to spend on advertisements or a big following. High quality advertisements will bring in people. Always make sure that you spend 1/2 on computer then 1/4 on tablet and 1/4 on phone.

Conclusion

I hope this tutorial thought you something and hope whoever reads this follows the steps I said and creates a successful game! If you cannot come up with any game mechanics and you are impressed by my tutorial, you can commission me as I have a portfolio. https://devforum.roblox.com/t/game-designer-manager-for-hire-open/817863/14

If I had missed anything please tell me. Thank you for reading and have a nice day :smiley:

14 Likes

Yep understandable And yep I gonna change my title.

1 Like

Here’s a cool document made by the one and only @DieSoft

Maybe change the title to:
‘How to plan and make a game’

1 Like

Callmehbob isn’t a solo developer. There’s an entire team behind Royale High. How do I know? I work as a subcontractor for their game.

1 Like

Perfectly explained… :smiley:

1 Like

Callmehbob started out as a solo developer. Now she has a team but the early days she was a solo developer.

1 Like