Having trouble finding the right size for a weapon

So I’m working on a Voltron (Legendary Defender) game. It’s a personal project that I’m doing to chill because rl is not as fun as ingame :^( though I hope to play with some of my Voltron friendo’s which is why I’m making this post.

Anyway, I’ve just created a somewhat blocky Bayard in blender. A Bayard is a tool which turns into a number of different weapons such as a Sniper, Machine Gun or Sword.

Here is a picture of the Bayards and the reference image I used

What I’m struggling with is finding the correct size for the Bayard to be when being held by the player.

This is the first sized I tried, as you can see it sort of clips through the players hand.I can lower the weapon but then the players hand isn’t actually holding the handle anymore.

This is the second size I tested. It’s bigger and still clips through but it doesn’t look as bad or wrong. But it does look a bit too big.

Which size should I go for? Or should I go bigger or smaller?

3 Likes

In my opinion, You can oversize or abuse it if the game will not own any package, the Default R15 looks pretty heavy itself, and on a few angle it would completely cover/hide the weapon.

Attacks should look more obvious and flashy so the players see better the action he’s currently doing, at this point, the Hitbox will also become more clear.

With Roblox you shouldn’t be going with realism. Go with what feels/looks right, regardless of how it actually is.

In the last picture, the weapon looks fine to me (although I’ve got no experience with voltron). Roblox hands have never been that great at realistically holding stuff lol

2 Likes

Second picture fits great.

1 Like

The first image does not feel right as the model of the Bayard is quite small, and I can see it being an issue for players being hit by it not realising what’s happening, as @kenami stated.

The second image looks better in my opinion (I do understand your concern about it clipping through the hand) because the model is clearly visible, and as @EmeraldSlash said sometimes realism is not the way to go on Roblox and you should just go with what feels/looks right instead.

1 Like

I prefer the second, larger version.

This reminds me of a similar discussion I read earlier from June where people were trying to establish a stud to iRL conversion. @ExtremeBuilder15 had a good explanation for why you need to eyeball certain things like this:

In this case, since the player will be seeing it in the third person, it is expected to make it bigger than life for it to feel proportional.

1 Like

You don’t actually attack with the bayards, instead they turn into weapons like these:

Funnily enough, here’s a picture relating to the Roblox event

True! I just worry that what I think is a good size may not be a good size to everyone else which is why I was looking for opinions. Thank you though!