HD Upscaled Studs from 2008-2022 using MaterialService

It’s very clear that Roblox plans to remove surfaces eventually. They have removed the surface tool, stud properties, and all connective behaviour of studs.

However, some builders who want a quick-to-make, but nice looking aesthetic, still use surfaces.

Studs on terrain!

2008 PBR studs!

These surfaces will come in handy, as they not only are easier to apply than Roblox surfaces, (Just change the material!) but also come with custom-made 2008 and 2012 variants that have PBR.

They also (finally!) allow you to add studs onto terrain! Which looks a bit cursed, but really cool!

You cannot apply the materials per-surface like the old surfaces, sadly.

I’m no builder or modeller, so don’t expect the PBR to be perfect lol but I think it’s more than acceptable for every use-case.

The project is open source and can be found below, it took me about 4 hours to make.

53 Likes

don’t know what i’ll use it for, but it looks swag :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Its for builders who like to use studs for a quick and nice looking building style.

I would like to give everyone a tip for using these studs. They are not exactly SmoothPlastic as these custom materials are less glossy. You can create a MaterialVariant without a color map or normal map and that will look less glossier than smooth plastic.

Oh yea true i think if the studs were a variant of smpoth plastic it would become glossy.

2 Likes

This texture pack has helped me a lot! Thank you so much. This helped me make my game look more classic!

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say it looks more genuine classic, but it still looks great! I like the little planet look to it.

1 Like

Great resource you got here!

For those who want a truly “classic” feel, here are some lower-res, non-pbr materials using the actual original surface textures. These are 256 x 256 materials.

Here are source images:

Inlet Stud Universal Weld

You can also see these in source 512x512 resolution in the Figma file I made.

21 Likes

Why did you not add normal maps? :confused:

1 Like

I uhhh went to download the placefile and you replaced it with some randome game you were making, I didn’t got the textures but I got a free game so umm thanks?

they are in material service, dont know why the game is that way but its still there.

A possible solution would be to use a One-Sided plane mesh on the surface that you want.

One-Sided for performance, of course!

Just resize and align the mesh to the side of a brick that you want, and apply the material! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sharing is Caring.

Can you share the place file you got?

errrrr yikes
i checked and it is a 2 year old barely working copy at least
thanks for telling me
no idea how that happened…

1 Like