[HELP] Animating in First-Person

1. What do you want to achieve?
    I want to make:
  • First person walking animations (I’ve been told it needs to be 9 compass directions or something like that)
  • First person rifle animations (Draw from back, Idle, Reload)
  • First person pistol animations (Draw from side, Idle, Reload)
  1. What is the issue?
    I have no idea how to make first-person animations. I don’t need to do any scripting since I’m just the animator. All I need is how to do it. A link to a guide or youtube video will be much appreciated.

2. What solutions have you tried so far?
    I’ve searched on the forum aswell as watching a few videos, but I haven’t found what I’m looking for!

3 Likes

Well, why don’t you just make a animation, then make the game first person? All you have to do is make the animation. Or do you want to make something else?

I assume “9 compass directions” refers to directional animations, which you can look up. You should only need 4 — walk forwards, backwards, left, right (plus idle). If the player is walking an angle, not a straight vector, the animations are blended. Walking 45 degrees (north-east) = forward and right animations are blended equally, so each has the same weight.

2 Likes

Will the animation be the same in first person? becuase I was told I need to make a seperate animation for the arms and a different animation for the whole body.

Quick question, why did you rake the job if you can’t do the stuff? Anyways, you lack detail, so it’s hard to help. And I don’t see why doing that won’t work!

When the character is in first person, his characer becomes invisible, so the hands don’t show up, which makes first person animating useless, so what FPS games do is, make a fake character (just two arms actually) positioned so it would look like you’re hands are showing up, but they’re actually not your real arms, this explains it really well. So setup those fake arms, and animate them.

2 Likes

That’s what I needed! An explanation as to why I was told to animate just arms. Thanks alot dude!

1 Like

It seems like I do know how to animate in first-person. There’s always a start for everything and this was mine. I just wanted to know what makes it different to normal animating on my end of the spectrum (as an animator).

2 Likes

No problem! Glad I helped!

1 Like

Hay there, just today a plugin that helps with first person shooting animations, and I thought it could help you.

2 Likes

I edited the roblox camera script so the limbs are visible.

2 Likes

Thanks dude, but I don’t need to do the scripting part.

2 Likes

Nice, that would tech technically work too.

1 Like