[Help] How to make a gun

I don’t know how to make a gun work I tried all the following

• Trying it my self

• Watching tutorials

The tutorials I watched didn’t work or had ALOT of bugs, I don’t want to use a free model since I wanna be orignal, I wanted to make a pistol that has ammo, shoot speed, reload speed, and aimming, is there anyone that can help me out with this I am a decent scripter but not that good.

i know you said you dont want a “free model” i suggest using one and just modifying it to your needs. Thats what i am currently doing and i modified it so heavily that you dont even notice its a free model. Also using free models isnt a bad thing thats how i mostly learned scripting overall im also bad like you also watching gun tutorials didnt help all they did was those really bad 2004 guns.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea actcully im going to try that. I’m seeing if I can edit the free models from roblox’s tool section.

There is actually a really good weapon system made by roblox that I was planning on using in a future title of mine. It’s a 3rd person weapon system and it’s used in this fortnite demo:

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/resources/templates/battle-royale-intro

I believe you can get the scripts somewhere else based on what I read in the code but really all you need to copy to your baseplate from that is the Replicated Storage, ServerStorage, Tools, and workspace folders. Actually it’s been a while, I’m not really even sure if workspace has a model, but it’s a good gun system.

I used alot of free models with no viruses but bassically I couldnt understand the scripts…

1 Like

id recommend that you look into these

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/datatype/Ray
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/Mouse

watch some tutorials on raycasting, then try your hand with this video

good luck!

I watched the vid and copied it down it works well but theres alot of bugs.
Then I watched Gamer M8’s vid on this but inproved version of TheEvilDuck’s scripts his also had bugs every time you re-equip the gun it bassically fires of 2 bullets and re-equip again it fires of 3 and etc but dmg is same but it takes more bullets when u re-equip and u could spam click on a player to bassically instantly kill them I don’t know how to make it so you can’t fire off bullets every second or something

This is Gamer M8’s script

Main script (Local Script)
`
local maxAmmo = 15
local Ammo = maxAmmo
local reloading = false
local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local playerGui = player:WaitForChild(“PlayerGui”)
local textLabel = playerGui:WaitForChild(“M9AmmoDisplay”):FindFirstChild(“AmmoText”)

script.Parent.Equipped:Connect(function(Mouse)
local function reload()
reloading = true
wait(1)
Ammo = maxAmmo
reloading = false
end

script.Parent.Activated:Connect(function()
	if Ammo > 0 and not reloading then
		Ammo = Ammo - 1
		script.Parent.GunShot:Play()
		if Mouse.Target.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid")then
			script.Parent.DealDamage:FireServer(Mouse.Target.Parent, 10)
		end
	elseif reloading == false then
		reload()
		script.Parent.GunShot:Stop()
	end  

while wait()do
		textLabel.Text = (Ammo).."/"..maxAmmo
	end
end)

local Input = game:GetService("UserInputService")
Input.InputBegan:Connect(function(Key)
	if Key.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.R and reloading == false and Ammo ~= maxAmmo then
		reload()
	end
end)

end)`

And the dmg script (Remote Event)

script.Parent.DealDamage.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player,Target,Damage) Target.Humanoid:TakeDamage(Damage) end)

id never recommend copying something if you dont know what it means/ how to fix it, take some time to learn raycasting and the mouse object and you should have a good idea how it all works

I know how ray casting works

so yeah.

then look up how the mouse object works with all its properties

You’d want to generally learn how to raycast, how to use UserInputService or ContextActionService (I recommend knowing both since sometimes one is more useful in a scenario like creating buttons on mobile in ContextActionService). The speed and ammo generally comes to basic arithmetic as well as reload speed.

You can fixate your camera to have the player aim, if you’re aiming for a FPS then there are FPS tutorials on this forum and you would move the gun to the center of the camera to make it look like it’s aiming and for third person, I’m going to bet it’s just zoom the camera further in.

I found this tutorial as well for gun bullets if you haven’t seen it: How to make ranged weapons with bullet movement

Also, this question was very generic, if you need more specific answers be sure to detail it better. For example, if you wanted to make a FPS then specify you want to create a gun for a FPS game and so forth.