Help making a part go to mouse's position

Hi, I am trying to make a ability where you click, and then a fireball goes where the mouse is. I have something done with it, but all it does is teleport to the position. Is there a way to make the part to go smoothly to the mouse?

tool.Activated:Connect(function()
	local mouse = player:GetMouse()
	local character = player.Character or player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
	local humanoidRootPart = character:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart")
	part.CFrame = CFrame.new(humanoidRootPart.Position + Vector3.new(0,0,-10), mouse.Hit.Position)
	wait(.005)
	part.CFrame = CFrame.new(mouse.Hit.p)
	mouse.TargetFilter = part and part2

end)
2 Likes

You can use Tweening or Lerping to slowly change CFrame or positions over time;
TweenService
Lerping(devforum)

Yes, i do know how to tween, but when i tried tween it said unable to cast to dictionary.

What was your code when you tried to tween it?

local tween = Tweenservice:Create(part, tweenInfo, part.Position = mouse.Hit.p)
tween:Play()

I think the third parameter requires a table, not sure though

You have to make a table like this:

local tween = Tweenservice:Create(part, tweenInfo, {Position = mouse.Hit.p})
1 Like

I tried it, but it still said unable to cast to dictionary.

You could potentially use a RocketPropulsion to achieve this. And it’s arguably better than just tweening / lerping because of the unique properties which can be used for maximum results.

Also, the p property of Mouse.Hit is deprecated. use Position instead. (Mouse.Hit.Position)

Now the part you want to move is named “Part” and you have a Table called “TweenInfo” that holds the information for the tween.

Part is the part I want to move, TweenInfo holds the time, easing style, and the last part is the position

Can I see your entire script with the Tween. When it says “unable to cast dictionary”, there was a problem with one of the three parameters.

Im trying RocketPropulsion just one sec

local tweenService = game:GetService("TweenService")
local tweenInfo = TweenInfo.new(3, Enum.EasingStyle.Linear)

local tween = tweenService:Create(part, tweenInfo, {part.Position == mouse.Hit.Position})

For the final parameter, you don’t say part.Position. Instead you want just so say Position. Also these “==” are for comparing, you want this “=” for setting the Position. Overall it looks like this:

local tweenService = game:GetService("TweenService")
local tweenInfo = TweenInfo.new(3, Enum.EasingStyle.Linear)

local tween = tweenService:Create(part, tweenInfo, {Position = mouse.Hit.Position})

Ok nvm lol i didnt read the whole thing

1 Like

You need to use 1 =, not 2.
== is for comparing

{Position = mouse.Hit.Position}

Thanks! it works now! it dont know what to say

1 Like