Help On Building

So, I have been building for about 9 months. In this link, you can find some of my builds.

I am wondering how many more years or months it will take me to get to this type of builds.

Thank you.

4 Likes

It varies for everyone.

Building isn’t something you can spend 2 years with practicing once a month and achieve extreme levels of detail.

There’s no answer to how long it’ll take for someone to achieve this much talent or this much detail or yet again, this much creativity.

It all comes down to how much you practice on a daily basis and experimenting outside the box. I’ll use myself as an example. One thing I’ve never done in the 3 - 4 years of building is mixing smooth terrain with low poly builds and assets, which is now something I’m now working towards to mastering.

You should also seek to find inspiration in what your interested in building. I’ve found numerous developers and games that sparked inspiration for me to try and create work in similarity to theirs.

For example, the game that inspired me to mix low poly and smooth terrain to create a fantasy forest settlement is the game Vesteria. It amazed me how nicely the developers were able to mix in smooth terrain and low poly to create a fantasy world rpg game while keeping a low poly aesthetic that differentiates the games visualiaties compared to other games.

With that in mind, all it comes down to is constant practice in building. Maybe you had an interest in building realistic builds and you’re trying to find new ways in creating realistic materials to create a showcase that could wow developers and can even inspire others. Or maybe you’re going to try go for Low-Poly and create a cartoonish environment with a twisty effect to it in which can display contrast and other elements to your build.

The point is, you just have to continuously practice and practice and practice. Don’t switch between different types of building. Although you can experiment, try to master a certain type of building, then go for the other. And as you do experiment, find inspiration that’ll give you motivation to even build more.

Goodluck! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you for the idea. How long have you been deving for?

I’ve started to build on 2015. From there I watched people speed building random things. I would practice unfrequently, and then I just built at least once a month or not even until 2017.

In 2017, I found inspiration from other developers to build and try and make a game. Still being quite new to building, I practiced a lot and tried to look at references of houses e.t.c to try and replicate. I would practice at least 3 times a week on 1 - 2 hour periods.

In 2018, I was practicing everyday to try and perfect my building, I would keep continuously judge my builds and readjust, and when I thought it was good enough, I moved on to a new project.

During this time period, I only built on a realistic style.

Late 2018 was when I considered trying to build in Low-Poly, as I was pretty confident on my building skills on a realistic term. I looked at countless references, searched up on both youtube and google on ways to construct a low poly environment and perfect it.

Early 2019 was what really kick started development for me in terms of working on actual games. I was practicing actively on working on both realistic and low - poly builds, a very generous developer asked me to help with the game with payment upfront and paid off. As soon as I got the new member rank for the devforums Mid February, I’ve been constantly asking for tips to improve on my work.

Sorry for the little story on how I’ve took approach in developing :sweat_smile:
But in short terms, I’ve been developing for almost 4 years. :smiley:

1 Like

It very much depends, there is no certain amount of time. Like @TypeByte stated, practice is key. You must strive in order to get better at building.

1 Like

I’ve been building from 2011 to 2018 but I no longer play Roblox as often. I am a realist, and so I prefer realistic builds over low poly and other styles. Here is how my own building style has progressed through the years.

As you can see, my own improvement has been long and gradual, not immediate. An ability to acquire a better, more detailed style only originates through constant, inventive, and creative practice. In many ways, building is not simply defining a creation on Studio; it is exploring a new way to create it: trying to prove something, be it the function of a model, a CSG, or a mere artistic manufacture of something in as few parts as possible.

Don’t stop at what you think you can do. Be inspired by other builds, know where to put detail, use lighting to your advantage, and never doubt your own abilities. Also, be aware of scale, both in terms of size and how many parts are necessary.

8 Likes