Help on how to approach making a Melee System

Hi, im currently making an RPG Game…

and Ive ran into a Block (doesnt know how to approach).
Because im like planning to add different types of weapon (i.e spears and swords.) but.

because im also planning to add like Enchantments, and ive stuck a block on how to approach this

any suggestions on what to do/how?
(im not asking for any grand “hey use this script” thing, just asking an approach)

Thank you!

5 Likes

Take one thing at a time.
Start from the simpelest to the hardest.

Starting with the simplest can give you time thinking about what to do for the hardest systems or functionality.

You can also try asking for help from any person in the dev forum you’ll find help eventually.

I’d recommend to start with very very small details though.

Dont hop into the programming part just yet.
Start by making a thumbnail, a map and the modeling of the items you’ll haven in your game.

When that is done you can really focus on programming not having to worry about “oh let me programm a sword… i dont have a sword…” and then dying. rather do one thing at a time :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Seems like you are mostly thinking about code organization and code structure and how to add more features to a system.

For this I would consider component based design systems such as ECS because the TL;DR is that you can keep adding and removing more components such as a weapon enchantment in your example.

https://eryn.io/matter/

1 Like