Help with advancing my scripting experience?

I’ve known what I’d say are the “fundamentals” of lua, but I still wouldn’t say that I can code. I figured what I need is experience and practice. I want to make some small, random stuff. Can anyone give me a few scripting challenges? Something to code. I don’t know if this is right place to post this, but I didn’t see any other places.

2 Likes

Could you please say/reflect your question and problem directly, for example: I understand this function ??? not. I don’t understand what your problem is and without it I can’t help you.

Try to learn TweenService (and maybe even CFrame) to create moving platforms like a Obby, those are good fun to learn.

1 Like

Make a game

That’s all the advice you need.

If you don’t have ideas find ideas, there are plenty on Youtube if you are desperate.

8 Likes

@RuizuKun_Dev is right.

Think of a game to make and start working on it. Anything you get stuck on, just research about it or ask about it on the DevForum. Before you know it you will be a lot better than you were before.

You don’t even have to finish it. It will still help you improve a lot.

3 Likes

I also agree with him, creating a testing place to develop GUIs, Models and Scripts apart from the main project helps a lot in “not messing up the whole thing”.

And if you have an idea block, just look for inspiration in images and videos, it’s pretty much it :+1:t2:

1 Like

Personally, for me, I would dive into the aspects I am not good at. So, for example, I might not be good at PathFindingService so I would try to make a creation that focuses on that. Remember, errors are your way of learning, you figure out more just by seeing what code breaks. That’s usually the best way to learn for me.

4 Likes

The way I learn the most is by doing projects. You don’t need the skills to do it, because you will learn on your way doing it. For example, when I was younger when I was new to scripting I wanted to create a MMORPG like Runescape.

Did I, at the time, think that this was doable? YES, and so I worked hard on it. After some months of development, I stopped, and I learned so many great things, that I otherwise wouldn’t have done, and this only by “wanting to learn stuff”. It’s like school, most of the time you just learn things without applying them in real-world examples. By having a project, with goals and planning I could actually make use of the things I learned on my way to accomplishing something.

Most programmers today agree that you have to actually use what you have learned in order to actually… learn it.

But, again, there are some things you definitely should do to enhance your scripting skills. For example, you can read the PiL (Programming in Lua) book to see best practices, learn to write code properly and more. This also trains your reading skills, so it’s a win-win situation. I bought the digital book, but there is an online version here: https://www.lua.org/pil/, and I fully understand if it gets too much, because the book is pure information.

Try helping other scripters out! Not only do you help them, you help yourself by teaching yourself a way to teach others. You also become more aware on what you know when you have to formulate it for someone else struggling with the topic. I like to call it help and get help. Find people who need help on scriptinghelpers.org, the DevForum or just in programming Discord servers and help people+yourself out.

If you’re in some Discord servers you can see job postings there, check out what they need and see if you can make something like that on your own (it doesn’t have to be for them, it’s to help you learn). You can also check out what people need in the Collaboration section of the forum. When you get a task you have to do, you often have to concentrate more and use what you have learned to do it. It’s fun!

HACK! No, not hacking the way you probably think. There are several websites out there made to help you learn code by applying it to different cases. For example codingame.com, it gives you different scenarios where you can test out your skills and learn from your mistakes. It’s very fun once you get the hang of it.

Participate in game jams! Game jams are contests where the goal is to make a game within a short duration. This is awesome to help you figure out what you have to prioritize when developing games in a rush, and it also gives you a hint on also how to spend your time on larger projects too! As a bonus reward they also have prizes that you can win!

Conlusion

Although I’ve listed several ways you can learn how to code, doesn’t mean they apply to you. We learn differently, and that’s acceptable. I only listed some ways here how I was learning how to code. If these examples don’t apply to you, find some that do!

7 Likes

This really helps. Where do I find game jams?

For example, in ScriptersCF (by @JoshRBX, a friend of mine :)), which you can find a link to here: https://www.roblox.com/groups/3232454/ScriptersCF#!/about (check the social links).

Or, for example Hidden Developers by HeadlessHorror, link here: https://www.roblox.com/groups/2627479/Hidden-Developers#!/about

2 Likes

I’m an auditory learner. I’ll still check out PiL, but do you know any resources that are auditory? Like a recording of a lecture?

I second the “Even if you dont finish it” part, i’ve never finished a game, and I have improved a ton!

You can just just see the code of toolbox models and create modded editions of open source games such as Chickon. To do that, click the three dots and choose Edit. Also Miner’s Haven is open source too, but berezaa lets the others to download the open source from GitHub.