Help with Blender texturing

Hi! I need help with textures, and colouring the objects in blender, I just started to use it and I only know how to build things. The picture down below is my first creation but I want to colour it and stuff. But I’m not sure how to do that, I need help with texturing and colouring (I’m not really sure what the word is for those, I think you get the general idea) whatever that is, if there’s a video online that you know of please send the link also if you want to teach me then this is my discord: 145HEY_Official#5270

Also if you can help me by Developer Forum, then it’ll help a lot.

Thanks for reading I think the paragraph was a bit cramped.

Also the version of Blender I use is 2.79.

1 Like

There are 2 ways to make object colorful:

1. Texture painting(you got to paint it)
    I recommend this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcCQKuWPhXk
  2. Material(you can search textures online or create your own and wrap it on your object)
    About this one you need to know about UV Editing too so you should search for tutorial about that on youtube.
2 Likes

First of all, install the latest version of Blender (2.82), and enable the add-on Node Wrangler.

If you want to ignore this and get to the tutorials I posted them at the bottom

So there are multiple ways of texturing items, you can just do it by multiple solid colors (easiest),
and then something else which would be used in this case would be using procedural and/ or non-procedural textures and UV wrapping them.

The solid one is simple enough ill explain it here.

This is just an example of how to combine multiple colors into one object.

You have this cube here which you have divided into 2 parts, and want to color one green, and the other blue.

Go into shading, and click “New”

From there you will see a Principled BSDF which goes into a material output. just change the base color to something blue.

From there you want to go into the material tab and click the “+” sign to add a new material to the model.

Once that is done, add a new material as demonstrated above, but color it red. This will result in no change, so you need to go into edit mode, and select the faces that you want to change color, and, while selecting the new red material, click assign, to change the color of those faces to red.

As for uploading this texture to Roblox Studio, you have 2 options.

First is to import the different materials as different objects. You can do that by going into the edit mode, pressing “p”, and select “By Material”. Then, select the objects you want to export, export, and import into Roblox.

The next way would involve creating an image texture of it.
Go into the UV Editing tab, and click “New” in the left window at the top. From there you can name your texture, and assign the resolution of it. You can keep the color black.

In the right window, select the object, go into edit mode, and select all faces/ vertices/ edges.
From there, you will notice that it is a bunch of jumbled mess on the texture map. Go to UV and then Smart UV Project.

The only thing I would really change is to set the island margin (it changes the distance between the faces of an object to help prevent overlapping. .5 is really overboard but I did it because it wouldnt matter.

Then the faces should be all nice and such, and then you can work on adding the textures in.
Go into the materials tab, select the first material you made, and add an image texture of your UV map.

It does not need to be connected to anything. Then from there go into the render tab, select Cycles (only works with it), open the bake section, select Diffuse out of the bake type, deselect “Direct” and “Indirect”, and click bake.

The result will be this:
Then, go into your next material (red), add the image texture with your UV map in it, and click bake again. This will give you the correct texture map for the object.

From there you have your completed model, and texture map. Save the texture map, and export the model. To get the texture map on Roblox, on the main page, go to Create, Decals, and upload the texture map. From there, import your model into Roblox Studio, and where it says Texture ID,

Copy the texture ID you get from clicking the page with your decal

and yeet you are done.

For where to get the non-procedural textures, there are some free ones at Poliigon.com, textures.com, and really any texture site.
For tutorials on procedural textures, YouTubers such as Ducky 3D does quick tutorials on how to make certain materials, of which you can use to help gain knowledge of how to make certain materials, and also just looking up things such as “how to make procedural wood texture” work as well.

For tutorials on UV wrapping, Blender Guru did one which goes in depth on using the mark seam tool and making sure your materials arent warped here: Blender Intermediate UV Unwrapping Tutorial - YouTube

Along with these:

Some are using older versions of Blender (still very good sources though)
And they also may use different techniques than me as I use what works for me.

Also I would like to point out that the Blender Discord servers are also a good place to ask for help.
Links:

8 Likes

Thank you very much, but now I have another problem how will I switch between those two? Should I delete the 2.79 version?

Just install a newer version. If it removes the 2.79 version, that’s fine, you can go and re-install of if you want to. However as for transferring files, there should be absolutely no issue with opening blender projects from 2.79 to 2.82.

That is the install link for 2.82, and as you see there is the option to install previous versions.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I’ll do that.

1 Like