Hide Archivable from properties

The Archivable property has little usefulness nowadays, and most people just want their instances to be able to get copied and cloned around.

I’m suggesting for it to be hidden, so that plugins that purposefully have it toggled off can do that for their internal objects, but so that new players don’t accidentially tick it off and wonder why their instances gets removed when they try play their game.

5 Likes

No support

Situation 1: You have things in your game that you don’t want published but are working on. Instead of working on them in another game you want them in the same place.

Situation 2: You want things in the same place file but don’t want them in game such as maps/models.

5 Likes

Situation 3: You want to copy and paste your character and you don’t want to use the command line.

9 Likes

As for that situation, I don’t get why characters aren’t archivable from the very beginning - the only case where it’d matter would be for the AssetService:SavePlace method, which I haven’t seen used quite a lot.

I do get your points though - although if you’re working on maps (wravager), you likely wouldn’t want those to disappear up in thin air because of Archivable, right? Meaning that at some point you do need to put them Archivable and possibly save them somewhere, if local files don’t suffice.

Archivable objects are now able to be copied and the copies have archivable set to false. “Fixed bug when trying to copy non-archivable objects. Copies will be archivable.”

Can you elaborate? Archivable=false objects won’t be in the game at all when it’s published nor the place file when it’s saved.

3 Likes

They aren’t when the files saved? That’s dumb…

I agree with this. When I first joined ROBLOX, I lost a lot of things because of my misunderstanding of the property, including times I assume I accidentally ticked it false. The only times I can think of it being useful are for plugins, or if you use the “Save Place” API thing in-game on servers.

1 Like

But it’s also what Archivable is designed to do - to specify objects that aren’t going to be archived. Back in the day, i.e. with personal building servers, the saved place wouldn’t contain players’ characters because they were archivable false, as well as the old “Build mode” years back as a prior alternative to Edit mode.

Assuming that voids your use cases, then, I imagine that means:

• Hiding archivable from the explorer is a go, unless anyone else has uses for it
  • We should have a property for objects which allows them to persist in edit mode, but not show up in online mode
  • and maybe archivable should have a more user-friendly name

Sound good?

Don’t forget when Play mode saved too :P

it did? That must’ve been centuries ago :o

Yep, back in 2008 – maybe 2009 – Play mode would prompt the creator to save the place when they left it. It was the original team create.

Welp - I joined in (very) late 2009, so I guess I missed that one.

I think there are a set of properties which should be hidden to the standard end user, more experienced users should have the option to show them. This may be a good candidate but may also not be needed.

1 Like